Car Audio Quality Question

Hi all, I just got a Sansa Fuze (4gb), because I have an Iphone 2g but I can not use it to play music in the car since the adapter for plugging in a 3.5mm jack does not fit.

As for my Sansa, I use a tape deck to play music in my car, but for some reason, it does not pick up any bass. If I play a cd, everything sounds perfect. I have a 3000gt with premium infinity speakers, 2 subs in the back, all connected to 2 amps.

I am wondering, is it the Sansa or is it the tape deck that is cutting out most of the bass? There is a lot of hissing and I have to put the Sansa Volume all the way to max to hear anything come out of my speakers, as well as turn up my volume in the car. I do have the System Settings for Volume set to High. 

I don’t have an AUX port on my head unit so I have to stick with the tape deck option…but with other players I have had, all the base was there, everything sounded just like a regular cd.

Any one have any input?

Selayan wrote:

Hi all, I just got a Sansa Fuze (4gb), because I have an Iphone 2g but I can not use it to play music in the car since the adapter for plugging in a 3.5mm jack does not fit.

As for my Sansa, I use a tape deck to play music in my car, but for some reason, it does not pick up any bass. If I play a cd, everything sounds perfect. I have a 3000gt with premium infinity speakers, 2 subs in the back, all connected to 2 amps.

I am wondering, is it the Sansa or is it the tape deck that is cutting out most of the bass? There is a lot of hissing and I have to put the Sansa Volume all the way to max to hear anything come out of my speakers, as well as turn up my volume in the car. I do have the System Settings for Volume set to High. 

I don’t have an AUX port on my head unit so I have to stick with the tape deck option…but with other players I have had, all the base was there, everything sounded just like a regular cd.

Any one have any input?

Make sure your EQ is set on Normal. ANd you will have to max the volume of the Sansa. If you still get a lot of hiss and no bass, with Normal EQ and max volume, then it probably is the tape player’s fault.

Thanks for the reply. I am using Normal EQ. I will also try different bit  rate songs. I also read on the forums here that if I reset it to Factory defaults and select “Other part of the world” it will allow me to have the Volume Option for Max rather than just Normal and High? I will try that out. Suprises me because I paid 25 bucks for that tape adapter. I heard that different brands will have better quality.

I tried setting mine to “hip hop” and it had more bass in my car…

Selayan wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am using Normal EQ. I will also try different bit  rate songs. I also read on the forums here that if I reset it to Factory defaults and select “Other part of the world” it will allow me to have the Volume Option for Max rather than just Normal and High? I will try that out. Suprises me because I paid 25 bucks for that tape adapter. I heard that different brands will have better quality.

No, you misunderstood. The latest firmware update removes the High / Low volume options and lowers the maximum db levels to comply with EU regulations. You can get around this by selecting US or Other instead of Europe after you update the firmware or reset the Default settings, but there is no MAX setting.

And yes, cassette adaptors do vary widely in sensitivity and quality. You also have to take into consideration the quality of the tape head itself within the stereo unit, whether or not that tape head needs cleaning from all that magnetic tape whizzing by it for God-knows-how-long and the inherent dust accumulation, and whether the pick-ups on the head align correctly with the sensors on the cassette adaptor. 

I think at best, it’s a mediocre result.

Well the cassette itself is new, probably a bad quality one, its a maxell. I have already reset it to factory, and chose “Other” as the location and noticed no difference with the Volume Option in the Settings set to High. Weird because I never had this problem with my sansa 250, creative players, or ipods.

Make sure the cassette adapter plug is pushed all the way in on the Fuze’s headphone jack. Low volume and poor bass will result if it is not all the way in. The Sansa jacks are quite tight when new. If it is in all the way, borrow another device from a friend and try it. If results are the same, I would suspect the cassette adapter.

I’ll try and get a different player to check it out. In the mean time I figured I would just get a new Head Unit. The one I have now is an stock Infinity unit that came with my car. I think if I get one that has an AUX port in the front, it will sound much better right?

The problem is I don’t know what type of head unit to buy because I have 2 amps, connected to 2 subs, and to my four speakers. Then under the passenger seat is the factory amp connected to some converter box with a bunch of rca plugs. A guy at a shop told me that I would need to look for a Head unit that has 6 total rca outputs in the back, 2 for front speakers, 2 for the back speakers, and 2 bass. 

I can not find a cd player anywhere that says it has these outputs, they all seem similar in the store, the only way to find out would be to look at it but that is not an option I believe when you want to buy one?

I would check to see if an auxillary input adapter is available for your factory headunit. Crutchfield should be able to let you know. If you go for a replacement headunit, sellers should be able to tell you how many and what type of connections are on any unit they sell. Many units have front, rear and sub RCA jacks.