Can't load lectures

I haven’t used my 8 gig Clip+ in about a year and a half so it’s like I’m starting all over with it.  It still had a good deal of music on it when I tried to load an audio lecture using the directions in the manual I just downloaded.  However, the instructions don’t match what I see when I connect the Clip+…  There is no ‘Internal Memory’ listing when I click on the Sansa in ‘My Computer.’  However, I just used Windows Explorer to drag the lecture to the Audio Book folder.  When I did so, it initially said it would take 55 minutes to transfer at just a few KB per second.  However, it seemed to lock up, and when I tried to stop the transfer nothing happened.  I next tried to eject the Sansa, but it wouldn’t do so. I seemed to be in some sort of loop.   After waiting about 15 minutes I shut down the computer (it took a good long while).

How and where should I load these lectures?

By the way, I’m using a Win 7 computer, and my firmware is V.01.01.05A.  If I upgrade the firmware, will I risk some of the problems I’ve read of here?

As I recall, I had difficulty with a book I had loaded at the time I stopped using this device.  It jumped randomly from chapter to chapter, I believe.

Thanks for any assistance. 

@literaturelover wrote:

I haven’t used my 8 gig Clip+ in about a year and a half so it’s like I’m starting all over with it.  It still had a good deal of music on it when I tried to load an audio lecture using the directions in the manual I just downloaded.  However, the instructions don’t match what I see when I connect the Clip+…  There is no ‘Internal Memory’ listing when I click on the Sansa in ‘My Computer.’ 

Windows Explorer (My Computer) will only display “Internal Memory” if your player is set to MTP mode. MSC mode will allow your computer to see your player as 2 separate drives, each with their own drive letter.

However, I just used Windows Explorer to drag the lecture to the Audio Book folder.  When I did so, it initially said it would take 55 minutes to transfer at just a few KB per second.  However, it seemed to lock up, and when I tried to stop the transfer nothing happened.  I next tried to eject the Sansa, but it wouldn’t do so. I seemed to be in some sort of loop.   After waiting about 15 minutes I shut down the computer (it took a good long while).

How and where should I load these lectures?

By the way, I’m using a Win 7 computer, and my firmware is V.01.01.05A.  If I upgrade the firmware, will I risk some of the problems I’ve read of here?

By all means, update your firmware. What problems are you referring to?

As I recall, I had difficulty with a book I had loaded at the time I stopped using this device.  It jumped randomly from chapter to chapter, I believe.

That’s an ID3 tag issue. The player reads the ID3 tags, not the file names so you need to change the tags to reflect the order they need to play in (01, 02, 03, etc. at the beginning of the Track Title). A good tag editor is MP3Tag.

Thanks for any assistance. 

I think that the original poster is correct that some sort of loop was caused, for some odd reason. As a general matter, simply dragging and dropping (or copying and pasting) a file from one’s computer to the player works just fine and only takes seconds (depending on the size/length of the file). In fact, you even can use the Clip as a portable memory storage device, if you wish–not just to store and play audio files.