Can't get album art to show on Fuze

I’ve used MM to tag some of my mp3 files and the album art is both embedded and a folder.jpg is created by using the default settings.  The only issue may be the album art file themselves.  Smaller generally works better with the Fuze  and often times the art that gets imported by these automatic tagging programs get art far bigger than the Fuze needs.

I still think it’s not much of a problem doing it the manual way.  Just grab a good picture of your desired album art using Google images; resize it if necessary and manually rename it folder.jpg.  You can even embed this picture into the file if desired by using MP3Tag.

How do I modify the size of the art tag with mp3tag? I have one for an album that is 301 x 300. I think I need to change that to 200 x 200 for it to show on the Fuze correct?

MP3Tag does not edit images.  You’ll have to use other software for that, I use Fast Image Resizer.  It works great.

okay, i resized with that program (thanks, worked great) and it is now 199 x 200 and it still does not show on the Fuze!!! WTF?

As I said in an earlier post, sometimes the Fuze is unable to display what to everyone else looks like a valid JPEG image.

Find a different image, or try different JPEG compression options. I don’t know what the magic parameter that needs changing is, and I haven’t seen anyone else post an answer either. Sorry. Try it & see…

@daytona955 wrote:

As I said in an earlier post, sometimes the Fuze is unable to display what to everyone else looks like a valid JPEG image.

Find a different image, or try different JPEG compression options. I don’t know what the magic parameter that needs changing is, and I haven’t seen anyone else post an answer either. Sorry. Try it & see…

I must be doing something magical then.  I’ve never had an image 200x200 or slightly smaller that didn’t display properly on the fuze.  I almost always use Easy Thumbnails and both embed the image into file and include a folder.jpg file.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@daytona955 wrote:

I must be doing something magical then.  I’ve never had an image 200x200 or slightly smaller that didn’t display properly on the fuze.  I almost always use Easy Thumbnails and both embed the image into file and include a folder.jpg file.

I guess what I listed as my method in post number 6 of this thread is magical too!

is there a reason that the art that does show up is .alb files? under properties it indicates that it is 0 bytes. Is that really possible? More importantly, do I need to try to save the image files as .alb files?

I just had an album on my hard drive without album art. I went to Amazon.com, looked up that album, found the album art, saved as “folder .jpg” to the album file, dragged and dropped the album onto my Fuze in MSC mode, let the Fuze refresh, and voila!! The art appears. If you can’t duplicate that, then just give up and live without the album art…it can’t possible get any simpler than that, can it? :smiley:

@hamillp wrote:

Okay, I have searched the forums and have found several different threads on this but none seem to apply/work. I just recently got a Fuze and started adding songs from CDs. In the beginning, the album art seemed to work and would show up on the Fuze when the song was selected. Now, no album art shows up on any of them. I am using Media Monkey to do the transfers. The album art shows up on Media Monkey when showing the files on my hard drive. I have even deleted a particular album off the Fuze and then tried to simply drag and drop that album back on to the Fuze (from the hard drive where the album art showed) and no luck.

Any suggestions before I start hitting the bottle?

I’ve tried to avoid this conversation because a simple search and reading the results will give you the answer, even though you claimed it didn’t. The fuze can handle album art in 3 ways.

1. Embedded in the song file (Not what I would recommend)

2. In a folder with the song files where the album art is named folder.jpg

3. In a folder with the song files where the album art is names album art.jpg

If you choose to go the embedding route you are asking for trouble because every program handles this differently. With MM I have found that when I have embedded the file I have to tell MM to extract it when I sync. What it does is to create a subfolder in the music folder based on the artist name and then inside there another subfolder based on the album name and then inside that folder it places the art file as folder.jpg. This is not easy to set up nor is it effective.

The far easier is to rip albums to individual folders, hit the internet up and find the album art, save it as folder.jpg in the same folder as the music files, then resize it to be smaller than 200x200. Then put the fuze in MSC mode and plug it in to the computer. Go to “My Computer” and open the fuze like it is a flash drive then open the music folder, Right click on the folder with the album contents in it (The one you ripped the files to and that contains the art (It should be the same folder)) and choose copy. Then in the music folder on the fuze, right click and choose paste. If this doesn’t work for you then change the name of the artwork to album art.jpg and try again.

If that does not work I regret to tell you, that you did something wrong somewhere. Try again 

edit- Changed “jpeg” file extensions to the proper “jpg” -µsansa

Message Edited by microsansa on 04-28-2009 06:26 AM

MP3 Tag, That’s the answer!!

WMP or Winamp save the cover art as a jpg file in the same folder, but not embedded in the mp3 file, the adventage of this is that one jpg file is usable for all the mp3 that belongs to the same album (and as someone else told, the fuze can work fine in MTP mode) but if you don’t want more problems anymore you must use MP3 Tag, right-click in the space for album art and find a jpg or jpeg file and that’s all, just save the file and voilá, you got it, the fuze rocognize the file (I have not had problems with size or source of the jpg file, use the last version of MP3 Tag).

For a large mp3 library is a huge work, but with MP3 Tag is easy to do the job.

I have been having the same issue and posted here, but glad someone got a dialogue going.  I have most of my songs loaded on MTP and used Rhapsody. A few are loaded in MSC.  I guess I used MMP11 there.  Some on both sections have AA’s.  I can see the “Album” file when I using Windows and look at the Fuze Files (when I have the Fuze set to MSC…I don’t think I can see them when it’s set on MTP).  When I click on .alb files in the Album folder,  some show the AA, some require me to select what I want to use to open them.  I tried to cut and paste, but no sucess.  I read to name them “album art”. ,no sucess.  I have tried to move the AA’s directly to the fuze when in MTP (I only have the option of adding to the Fuze, but no directory tree is available.  Another post said to name them folder. and put them in the file containing the mp3’s.  I haven’t tried that yet.   I put my 120x120 AA’s in a separate windows folder to make them easy to find and select. The funny thing is Rhapsody can see some of the AA’s on some of the songs on the Fuze, but when I look at the disconnected Fuze, they aren’t there.  

MP3tag only sees files when the Fuze is set to MSC.  I have tried to add AA’s to files in MSC that don’t have them, hoping they will download to the Fuze.  They don’t.  I have resized them to 120x120.  I can’t access files thru MTP because windows file system doesn’t open the Fuze files.  I hope I have gotten this right.  It is very confusing.  I just wish there was a way to add info to the Fuze whether in MTP or MSC that would add the art.  I wish mp3 tag would see MTP as well as MSC so that one tool could be used on non-AA mp3’s to add AA’s or track info updates.   I usually use Rhapsody only because if I purchase mp3’s, that is what I am familiar with.  

Forgive the stupid question but what exactly is the difference between msc and mtp?

Mr. Smileyface in a 01/21/08 posted this comment

Firstly, lets explain MSC mode and MTP mode a bit.

MSC stands for Mass Storage Class. When your player is in this mode, the computer will see it the same way it would see a flash drive, as a removable disk. It will assign it the first available drive letter, as well as one for the memory card (if applicable). This is probably the more popular of the 2 modes, and is a more “open source” type of standard. Most comptuers detect the player in this mode without a problem.

MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol. It is a Microsoft standard and is Microsofts solution to connecting digital players and cameras to a window based platform. MTP mode must be used in order to transfer ANY Digital Rights Managment (DRM) protected content. Services like Rhapsody and Napster will only function in this MTP mode.

SanDisk has provided both of these modes at the users options on MOST of the entire Sansa Line mp3 players. The c200, and The View, do not have these 2 options in every version of firmware. Instead those players use an “Auto Detect” function that is suppose to Automaticly use MTP mode. If MTP mode does not work for any reason, it should default to MSC mode.

Wow…I just learned that both Rhapsody and WMP BOTH use MTP.  I had been under the impression that WMP used MSC.  So, if both use MTP, is MSC utilized when Windows drag and drop is used? 

This still doesn’t answer my problem with why the Album Art is so hosed, but for me it certainly is one less missunderstanding.

I put my 120x120 AA’s in a separate windows folder to make them easy to find and select.

This is where you made a mistake. You have to put the album arts in the same folder as the music tracks. Otherwise, the fuze won’t see them. Now, I never had any problem with it. I don’t know why. Simply go on google, do a specific search for pictures of 200 X 200. Copy the one your want to use as an album art in the folder in which your music tracks are. Make sure it is in jpg (maybe it doesn’t work for some people because the extension is jpeg for those that failed), and name it Folder. It never failed for me.