cannot sync what I have downloaded

Good evening,

<:AtomicElement>I promise I looked at most of the forum first.

<:AtomicElement>I have downloaded all the songs I wanted onto  my device thru Window Media Player 11

<:AtomicElement>On my Fuze, all the songs  say “<:AtomicElement>sync to continue music…”

<:AtomicElement>When I hit “sync” on the WMP all the songs say “error” and the explanation is “it is not possible to sync subscription fil to this device”

<:AtomicElement>The songs used to work on my Zen and I have renew the subscription with SpiralFrog.com.

<:AtomicElement><:AtomicElement> 

<:AtomicElement>I really want to cry since I had this gift for xmas.:womansad:

<:AtomicElement>I don’t understand why it has to be so hard.

<:AtomicElement> 

<:AtomicElement>I hope you’ll be able to help me.

<:AtomicElement>Thank you.

This problem is a DRM issue. I am not farmiliar with Spiral Frog but I assume it is like a subscription to emusic. You pay them and they let you download to your computer. Does spiral frog ask you what kind of player you are using?  What did you use to sync to your Zen? What Zen did you have? I would guess that yu can change your subscription to make it fuze compatable.

First thank you for answering so quick.

I apologize for even asking this. What does DRM means?

Spiralfrog is a free LEGAL music download site but you have to renew your subscription every month in order to refresh the licenses etc…
When I downloaded to my ZEN it didn’t even ask me what my device was.
I just downloaded the “special downloader” and that was it.
I never sync the ZEN V because I haven’t used it that much. I listened to it a few times for a week that was it.

I will go to the spiralfrog site and see if I had to do anything special for a Sansa. I’ll let you know.
Thanks for your help

DRM means Digital Rights Management. This is the way that record labels and music services keep you from using the music anyway you want.  basically Windows has contracts with certain companies whose players support DRM restricted music whuch means you have to buy these devices to use these services  (more money for fewer people)  (In this case anything that has the Certified for Vista or play for sure Icon all over the box it came in) which means

Those are the only ones you can use with this service. Itunes does the same thing with music so you have to use ipods for their music to play. 

It basically cripples music from univrsal use.

Did some more looking around on the spiral frog website and they come right out and say these are DRM protected files that work on “Plays For Sure” Devices these used to be called Certified for Vista, The Fuze unfortunatly is not one of these. There are many other options that do the same things spiralfrog does with out the drms or that are fuze compatable.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 01-04-2009 07:08 PM

Thank you very much for explaining all this in a very easy way so I can understand.

I had check it too last night and found out that Fuze isn’t working with Spiralfrog.

I guess I need to delete everything I have downloaded and find another music site which will support the Fuze…right?

Thank you for your time.

I really appreciate it.

Fuze is a PlaysFor Sure capable device.  Try selecting your USB mode to be MTP  under Settings>USB Mode> MTP

I must have mussed the logo on my box. Nice Catch Sansa Fix.

I changed the settings to MPT like you said.

Could you explained why I needed to do that?

Does it mean that it is now compatible with the spiralfrog site?

Thank you for your patience.

The Spiralfrog music has DRM included in the track (digital rights management), limiting playback to an authorized user / device.  The DRM is only passed on via the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) mode.

MSC mode only supports unprotected media transfers, or “bare” files without licenses.

Bob :wink:

So now, does it mean that I can try to sync again and it should work?

I haven’t tried Spiralfrog.  Does it have a client aplication that “authorizes” the device?

Follow the Spiralfrog directions, using MTP mode, and let 'er rip.

Be sure that the device is connected in MTP mode (for MTP you will need Windows Media Player 10, minimum).

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

No spiralfrog doesn’t have a “authorize” a device.

I had downloaded all these songs on my Zen V before with no problem.

Now that I have changed the mode to MTP, my WMP11 doesn’t show that my Sansa is connected eventhough it says “connected” on the device…I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.

Honestly, I hate it and I am ready to give up.

I know you are wonderful and trying to help and I was so hopeful for a while but it is just too frustrating that a little device is testing my patience.

Okay, if WiMP doesn’t see the device, we’re right upon the threshold.

The “connected” logo means the Sansa sees data and is trying to “talk”.  Open the device manager with the Sansa plugged in, MTP mode selected.

Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager.  Look for Portable Devices.  Double click > Sansa Fuze (Double Click) > Driver  Uninstall.

There you go.  Now, unplug.  Reboot the computer.  Once stable, plug in your Fuze again.

You’ll get the balloon “New device found. MTP device…et cetera”

See if WiMP recognizes the Fuze now.  Your remaining battle is with MTP only.  (There are a few more MTP steps, let me know if this main task succeeds.)

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 01-05-2009 10:05 PM

@frenchie wrote:

No spiralfrog doesn’t have a “authorize” a device.

I had downloaded all these songs on my Zen V before with no problem.

Now that I have changed the mode to MTP, my WMP11 doesn’t show that my Sansa is connected eventhough it says “connected” on the device…I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.

Honestly, I hate it and I am ready to give up.

I know you are wonderful and trying to help and I was so hopeful for a while but it is just too frustrating that a little device is testing my patience.

This is something I hear alot on here and some times I think Good Riddance because people come on here and moan and complain because the fuze isnt an ipod or perfect for them straight out of the box… Its like they want their music and movies on the fuze when it comes from the store. And then Other times (Like this) I hear that and I get a little sad. The Fuze is a wonderful device that if you are willing to do a little work and deal with a little frustration at first, will make you extemely happy. I was frustrated to begin with, but I worked on it and I read this board and I asked questions and Low and Behold the Fuze is the best device I have ever owned. I believe that you are mere steps from “living happily ever after” with your fuze. Stick with it!

Thank you Neutron Bob and Conversion bob,

I’ll try that when I come back from work today.

I really want for it to work…I am no quitter…I can see the light at the end of the tunnel…I believe it.

I’ll hang in there.

Hey guys,

I have some kind of a good news.

After doing what you told me to do and still wasn’t working…my husband called the “help” number and the guy went through everything possible with him over the phone and finally they concluded that my Sansa had to be defective…I wasn’t crazy after all!

He is returning it.

I’ll let you know if I have better chance with the new one.

Thank you so much for your help.