C250 deteced as e200 in MTP mode

Using Autodetect, the RB Utility returns “Sansa e200 in MTP mode found. You need to change your player to MSC mode for installation. Unless you changed this installation will fail!” The screen of the device reads “Please connect USB Mini-B-> Device Mode USB2.0 MSD” I think I’ve read every post in this forum that even hinted at being relevant. I’m using WinXP Home and “My Computer” shows the device as 16MB-Format (E:) The version.txt file reads as follows: Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022BF-06.10-S301-06.10-S301.01.05PRT Base Code: 06.10-S301-06.10-S301.01.05PRT ODM Ver.: S301-06.10-S301.01.05PRT OEM Ver.: S301.01.05PRT Build Type: RT Build Date: 2007.04.16 Build Number: (Build 13.26) When I unplug the USB cable, a message stating “Upgrade finished Resetting the system” flashes by. I can’t get either Windows or the device to recognize that I have a (formatted to FAT 32) 8Gbyte Micro SD card inserted (also from SanDisk). 2G of storage simply isn’t enough (and it seems pretty wonky that the Sansa OS can’t recognize the external memory without help). The dialog for “Install Rockbox on your audio player” claims success with Rockbox Stable v 3.7 But when I disconnect from my laptop and reboot the music player (no USB cable), nothing seems to have changed. Most especially, the additional storage space never appears and there is no new UI. I’ve been looking at this for a couple of hours, from the manual to the forums and back again. What am I missing?

Rockbox only works with MSC mode. Change it on your player in Settings > USB Mode. Never use the Auto Defect setting.

Since I do not have a menu entry “Settings > USB Mode,” can you suggest an alternate means of getting to MSC Mode? Judging from other forum posts, 01.01.05P (the version that came with my device) does not offer that option.

@billindetr wrote:
Since I do not have a menu entry “Settings > USB Mode,” can you suggest an alternate means of getting to MSC Mode? Judging from other forum posts, 01.01.05P (the version that came with my device) does not offer that option.

Update your firmware. This should give you the USB option. You will however, need to know if it’s a v1 or v2 model.

Thank you. I saw some chatter about updating the firmware causing loss of various functionalities such as the FM-radio (an important reason I bought this device) so I was VERY hesitant about doing that. You see to know what you are doing so, on your recommendation, I’ll do that later today.