Burning CD's

How do I transfer CD’s to my new Fuze from computer. I have windows XP. And will information take up much space on hard drive. I think I have about 2 G. Thanks 

You first have to “rip” or record the tracks on the CD to a format that can be read by your Fuze. The most universal is of course .mp3, but it will also read other formats like .wma or even FLAC & OGG with the latest firmware upgrade. MP3 is a ‘lossy’ format, meaning that some of the sound is eliminated as it is reduced in size to fit on a potable device. You can choose what bit-rate to rip the music to; the higher the number, the better the quality and sound, but also the larger the file size will be.

A typical CD’s worth of music could be 700MB to 1GB, but when ripped down to 256kbps .mp3 format, the files size drops down to around 100MB; quite the difference.

Many people use 128kbps (kilo bytes per second) and even less, but personally I consider this too low. I rip my CD’s at 256kbps.

Windows already comes with Windows Media Player that will do the ripping process for you, or you can get other media players that you may like better.

Once your music is in whatever format you’ve decided to use, you can simply drag & drop the file from the computer to your Fuze, or use WMP to ‘sync’ the music over. I’m a manual kind of guy, so I prefer the control that dragging & dropping gives you, but others like the ‘automation’ of syncing with Windows Media Player.

You first have to “rip” or record the tracks on the CD to a format that can be read by your Fuze. The most universal is of course .mp3, but it will also read other formats like .wma or even FLAC & OGG with the latest firmware upgrade. MP3 is a ‘lossy’ format, meaning that some of the sound is eliminated as it is reduced in size to fit on a portable device. You can choose what bit-rate to rip the music to; the higher the number, the better the quality and sound, but also the larger the file size will be.

A typical CD’s worth of music could be 700MB to 1GB, but when ripped down to 256kbps .mp3 format, the files size drops down to around 100MB; quite the difference.

Many people use 128kbps (kilo bytes per second) and even less, but personally I consider this too low. I rip my CD’s at 256kbps.

Windows already comes with Windows Media Player that will do the ripping process for you, or you can get other media players that you may like better.

Once your music is in whatever format you’ve decided to use, you can simply drag & drop the file from the computer to your Fuze, or use WMP to ‘sync’ the music over. I’m a manual kind of guy, so I prefer the control that dragging & dropping gives you, but others like the ‘automation’ of syncing with Windows Media Player.

You first have to “rip” or record the tracks on the CD to a format that can be read by your Fuze. The most universal is of course .mp3, but it will also read other formats like .wma or even FLAC & OGG with the latest firmware upgrade. MP3 is a ‘lossy’ format, meaning that some of the sound is eliminated as it is reduced in size to fit on a portable device. You can choose what bit-rate to rip the music to; the higher the number, the better the quality and sound, but also the larger the file size will be.

A typical CD’s worth of music could be anywhere from 300MB to 1GB, but when ripped down to 256kbps .mp3 format, the files size drops down to around 70 to 100MB; quite the difference.