Build Quality and Hardware V2

I love my Clip. It has amazing sound quality, was so affordable, and is so light I can just clip it to my tank-top. I guess you get what you pay for, but I found the build quality to be lacking. The actual clip for my Clip broke after 2 months of light use. And now after about a year the volume up button does work. What are other people’s experiences? Did I just get a dud or is this the build quality of the Clip? Is hardware V2 any better? Is the clip itself at least improved?

I only use my Clip at the gym for a couple hours around five days a week. I never received the promised replacement clip from Sandisk support. I got luckily and found one on the floor at my gym.

I popped the Clip open and one of the traces that connect the volume up button to the PCB was broken. So I removed the button and shorted out the traces to turn the volume up to about 80% and left it there. Needless to say not being to adjust the volume is annoying. I’ll probably solder on a new button; however if someone can tell me they’ve improved the hardware I may just buy a replacement.

Message Edited by Botulism on 11-09-2008 12:47 PM

I have a V2.

I don’t know if it’s any better, I’ve only had it for a few days. But the clip on the back moves a tiny bit to both sides when I press buttons, and they are not too easy to press; it takes quite a bit of force. I even hold the Clip in both hands for pressing them.

The clip and volume buttons (and the On/Off slider) seem a bit cheap to me, but I don’t know if they just seem that way (I’m a bit touchy in that regard). Time will tell - and I have a two-year warranty, so I’m not too afraid.