Bug in firmware 1.01.18: Volume keeping

since youre sure its trash, send it to me…ill pay for shipping

Who else fint that guy not funny?! :smileyvery-happy:

Yesterday I formatted the player, burned 1.01.18A to it. It did the volume thing with that too.

At least, I found someone who has this problem as I have! I hope he will show up here to tell!

who said i was jokin?

Macilaci457 wrote:
Yesterday I formatted the player, burned 1.01.18A to it. It did the volume thing with that too.

At least, I found someone who has this problem as I have! I hope he will show up here to tell!

Firmware version 1.01.18A is not the cause of inconsistent volume problems.  Most people reading this forum are probably using that version of the firmware without experiencing this issue.

I know, I just want to avoid further questions.

i have exact the same problem with volume. is there any advance about this issue?

I would upgrade your firmware to the latest 1.01.20 version.  Check the highlighted “sticky” thread for Firmware 1.01.20, or just click on the link here.

I recommend using the Firmware Updater listed in the thread as well, since it automates the process, making it simpler for most users.  The firmware updater runs in the background, giving you a scrolling “S” in the system tray, when it sees your sansa.  When an update is available, simply check the firmware box that appears, and you’ll get some fresh data.  The device will load it up once you disconnect; on the Clip’s screen, you’ll see “firmware upgrade in progress”- let that run,  then select your language…and you’re in business!

I have a whole gaggle of Clips, all happy with the '20 firmware.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Sorry, Bob, I’ve found the Sansa Updater to be buggy, and that it’s much easier to “manually” update (a whopping 2 minute process).  Just something for users to keep in mind, if the Updater doesn’t seem to be working.

Once you’re familiar with the manual firmware process, it’s quite simple, especially if you are reinstalling the same firmware version as the current build.  The firmware updater is not designed to reinstall the same version as the one currently on the device, even if the load on the device is corrupted.

For these cases, or if the Updater doesn’t work on your particular PC, due to firewall issues, I agree.  You’ll have to load the firmware manually. But, for the majority of users, I believe that the Sansa Updater is the hot ticket, as most problems can be avoided by running with the newest build of the the firmware.

In cases where the sansa is not communicating properly, where the PC is not recognizing the device, and related issues, manual installation is most definitely indicated.

Bob  :wink:

i already did the update, yesterday the problem reoccured. any other suggestion, maybe from sansafix?

Can you turn off the equalizer (Set to normal)  and see if anything changes.

I have a variation of the volume problem. I have a new (1 week) 2gb Clip , came with fw 18.  Ran the auto updater and it reinstalled fw 18.  Did the manual update to 20.  Will be playing and a song will have very low volume on left channel.  Right channel is OK.  Tried 2 different headsets and the earbuds that came with the Clip.  No change. Played the song with WMP and both channels are normal. Displayed the song with Goldwave and everything OK. Backed up to the previous song, it was normal, then when it advanced to the failing song, volume was normal.

Songs were loaded in MTP mode with WMP and as a playlist and played as playlist.  Not a fatal flaw, but it is a flaw, and from the other posts, on more than one Clip.

@sansafix wrote:
Can you turn off the equalizer (Set to normal)  and see if anything changes.

sure i can do that. but if it ever works, does that mean i should use the clip with only “normal” equalizer setting?

I notice volume level changes from different recordings and adjust the Volume to my liking.

Others use MP3 Gain to normalize the recording levels.  Its hard for me to understand if users are experiencing true volume level bugs or changes due to the song recording levels themselves.

If you can let us know if the equalizer off makes your problem resolve,  it will help us to track down if there is in fact a firmware problem or not and develop a solution. 

davidk wrote in another thread: 

I also have a similiar problem (2GB)! it has absolutely nothing to do with your files, and in my case only happens sporadically (yesterday it happened and the last time was about 2 months ago). The way I get rid of it is go to EQ settings, then it jumps back up. It is definitely a clip bug.

this problem was also discussed in another thread 

David

i switched back to normal eq setting but i really dont want to wait until the problem happens again, which might take 2 months according to david. i guess ill try to get a replacement. thanks anyway…

cihan 

@sansafix wrote:

I notice volume level changes from different recordings and adjust the Volume to my liking.

Others use MP3 Gain to normalize the recording levels.  Its hard for me to understand if users are experiencing true volume level bugs or changes due to the song recording levels themselves.

If you can let us know if the equalizer off makes your problem resolve,  it will help us to track down if there is in fact a firmware problem or not and develop a solution. 

if it is a bug replacement will not solve the issue. i suggest you try what sansafix suggests. i suspect it is related to your files not the clip.  

@sansafix wrote:

by the way, it cannot be about song recording levels, it is not about the files. because, it happens regardless of the track which is played. let me put it this way, sometimes it happens at track x, sometimes at track y. sometimes it happens at track x at time t1, whereas at time t2 and track x, everything works normal.

i always use the highest volume level (at normal volume setting) and after i notice the volume drop i go to volume adjuster. press “+” and nothing happens, the  volume indicator also shows highest level. then i press “-” once, and then one can see on the indicator that the volume had dropped a couple levels. so i can go back to highest by pressing “+” again.

i hope that helps to develop a solution.