BSoD with SanDisk Ultra Plus 256Gb SSD

Hello

I finished building a new desktop PC a week ago and loaded Windows 7 64bit SP1 on a brand new SanDisk Ultra Plus 256Gb SSD.

The drive has been partitioned with Win 7 on Drive C: with 204Gb and Drive D: (where I put programmes that allow) 33.3Gb.

I have 2 external USB SATA drives of 1TB and 500 GB for data and backup.

The motherboard is an Asus M5A97 R2.0 fitted with an AMD FX4300 4-core 3.8MHz CPU. The motherboard BIOS was updated to 2501 (latest) and the graphics board (Nividia) drivers were also updated with 64bit. The CPU is not overclocked, in fact everything is set as ‘default’ on the BIOS.

The SSD driver is shown as Microsoft 6.1.7600.16385 and the SSD Firmware version is X2306RL. SanDisk SSD Desktop
 says there is a later version but SanDisk SSD Tools says it is up-to-date!!

I have run MS sfc.exe, Memtest and HDDScan on all three disks - all check out OK except for one anomoly. The unnamed 4Mb RAM chip is marked 1333MHz, the Asus BIOS and Windows reports it as being 1333MHz. However Memtest shows it as 666MHz

Despite everything else being OK I keep getting BSoD for no discernable reason (or at least none I have been to discover). It seems to be quite random insofar as it can occur during downloads of MS updates, or when surfing the net, writing emails or at any other time. I can use the computer for hours without problems, download updates, surf the net, write emails, or run programmes - it works fine, then, suddenly it crashes. It will even crash overnight when in Sleep mode and there is no input or output. Another night it is fine. I re-installed Windows 7 and this seems to have produced a very small improvement.

Most of the more recent BSoD have been ‘STOP’ dumps, but I have also had ‘IRQ_not_less_or_equal’

The 1TB exterior USB hard drive, the RAM chip and the graphics board all came from my old computer where they worked perfectly. The 500GB drive mentioned earlier was used as an internal drive for the operating system, programmes and data storage in the old computer but is IDE and as there is no provision for connecting an IDE drive on the new ASUS motherboard, I installed it in an exterior USB housing for data stoarge only.

I don’t have a spare SATA 3.5" bare drive to substitute for the SSD, so I cannot say for sure if this is the cause for the problem but I have found no mention elsewhere of this motherboard/CPU combination causing BSoDs, so that only leaves the SanDisk SSD as a possible cause so hope you might be able to suggest some other tests I can run to try and nail this problem.

I have 4 dump reports from C:\Windows\Minidump but cannot see how to attach them to this message

David

X2316RL is the latest. I would recommend using the SSD Dashboard to update the FW. The toolkit is no longer in use that may be why the update does not show up there.

Download a program called Whocrashed (free) and use it to analyze the dump files. This should tell you what is causing the crash. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I have run ‘Whocrashed’ and got a useful analysis which I shall persue first.

Just for the record and in case anyone else has a similar problem. The cause appears to be the ‘rapportcerberus64_69108.sys’ file which is part of the ‘Trusteer Rapport’ security software installation.

A Google on this came up with another user who had random crashes and traced it to this file. He uninstalled ‘Trusteer Rapport’ and solved his problem. I would like to keep this software on my machine so have reported the problem to the IBM feedback forum and await a reply.