Broke playlist creation

I don’t know how I did this. 

I had previously dragged and dropped all my files in folders onto the player or used WMP but always in MSC mode.

Last night I was able to make a new playlist by browsing to the folder and highlighting the files, then right clicking and choosing “create playlist”

After that, I added some more music and let the player sync while I slept.

I woke up and I got the “Not enough space for music db, please free 90MB”

Problem was that when browsing, all of the files had disappeared and couldn’t be viewed to delete anything.

I ended up going into MTP mode to delete them through WMP. But then when I went back to MSC mode, all of the files were still invisible. 

I can’t work like that. That’s why I use MSC mode in the first place so I can reorganize folders as needed. 

I found I couldn’t do this anymore so I reformatted the player in the settings.

I had a backup of the music that was on the player so after reformatting, I was able to simply drag and drop my backup onto the player, let it copy, and all is well. 

BUT now I can’t create playlists the way I could last night! If I switch to MTP mode, the files are invisible. When in MSC mode, I right click the files but there is no “create playlist” option.

Any ideas? 

My guess is that when you were using WMP you accidentally sent or moved files in MTP mode. That would be why you could find them in MTP and they were invisible in MSC. Your computer can only see one mode at a time, so somehow those files were being treated as if they went over via MTP.

I have also found that if there’s a lot of music on mine, and I switch from my usual MSC to MTP and let Windows Music Player do anything automatically (like sync), that something gets corrupted–which gives you the “not enough space” message. At this point I just don’t let WMP connect to the player.

Since you are wise enough to have a backup, I would suggest reformatting again and then making sure, in Settings/System Settings/USB Mode, that it is on MSC and not Auto Detect. Copy the music on again and use Windows Media Player in MSC mode.

Well gave that a try. Still no go. Totally reformatted the player, reset to factory specs. Had the card out and reformatted that as well. Put it in MSC mode, opened WMP, synced some files over to both the player and the card through WMP, disconnected, let the database refresh, then opened in explorer and tried to “create playlist” and still don’t get theoption on either the player or the card. I haven’t even copied files from my backup yet. 

Tried it on three different machines, two running win7 and one on vista ultimate. all the same. no “create playlist” option when I rightclick on multiple highlighted files or on folders, or any other way.

Any other ideas? Gonna update the firmware next. Hope it doesn’t break anything.

Well, I updated the firmware. No joy. But then I thought I would try something. Sure enough. it all works fine in MTP mode. And I can drag and drop files just fine with no problem in MTP mode as well. So apparently I was in MTP mode all along and all the information out there that says that this works in MSC mode and that you have to be in MSC mode to drag and drop folders and files is wrong. I tried it on my old Clip and it’s the exact same way. the RIghtCLick shell access to create a PLA playlist only works in MTP mode and not in MSC mode and anyone saying any different is wrong and/or in auto-detect mode.

That’s really weird. How about a complete reformat? If that’s an option for you. 

@kitscht wrote:

That’s really weird. How about a complete reformat? If that’s an option for you. 

As you’ve been told before (in several of your other aliases), _ please READ before posting _. :angry:

@kevinfreels wrote:
Well gave that a try. Still no go. Totally reformatted the player, reset to factory specs. Had the card out and reformatted that as well.