bought refurbed e260, have questions

Hey all, I hope people still check this forum and answer questions. :slight_smile:

I bought a refurbed e260 for my dad. He’s not too techno savvy, I thought this would be a good starter player for him. He doesn’t have a computer, but I figure I can put music on it for him, and he could delete what he doesn’t want himself, but I can’t figure out how. Can songs be taken off directly from the player? The user manual says it can, but I can’t find the option anywhere. Yes, first thing I did was upgrade the firmware.

The back of the player says it’s a v2, but with refurbs that doesn’t always mean anything, and in the player info it says v1.01.18. Well, that’s what it said before I ran the firmware updater, it updated itself and now says v01.02.24a. So, firmware is up to date, and it’s a V1, not a V2. :slight_smile:

So, can tunes be deleted right from the player, or only when it’s connected to the computer? 

Also, while I’m here- the SD card option- can this player also use the SDHC cards? What’s the largest card I can use?

Hmm, I think that’s it, thanks for answering! (I hope!)

~Dana

Hello,

I have some info for you. The firmware is how you know which version you have. V1 in your case.

You can only use micro SD cards with Sandisk firmware. If you look into rockbox, it can use micro SDHC cards. It is an aftermarket firmware addon that most think improves the function of your e2x0 player.

I only add and delete music using the computer, so I don’t know about the delete thing, but that too may be different if you rockbox your player.

Search these forums for more info, there is plenty here for you to peruse, and you may find all your questions answered.

Good Luck.

The e200 v2 models have the on-board Delete option, but not the v1’s. To remove anything, you (or your dad) would have to connect to a computer.

Since this player is going to be used with multiple computers and Dad not being too up-to-speed technology-wise, let me suggest you set the player to MSC mode and load everything up that way. MSC makes the player appear as just another ‘dumb’ flash-based memory source, like a thumb drive or memory stick. It will be much easier to him to manage the content. Additionally, with a v1 device, MSC mode is the only way to add files to the external memory card, so using MTP for the internal memory doesn’t make much sense.

I’d probably also not even venture into the Rockbox area. It can be confusing enough for people well-versed with tech stuff. No need to open that can 'o worms with Dad. Besides, the e260 has 4GB of on-board memory. If you get him a 2GB SD card (the largest you can use w/o the RB firmware), that’ll give him 6GB. That should be plenty. Based on how old he is and his hearing, you might be able to rip tracks at a lower bit-rate so even more will fit on it. If he can’t tell the difference between 256kbps & 128kbps, why not? That will give him room for several hundred songs.

Although the internal memory and SD card have to be loaded as separate memory locations (which they are), the player will populate its lists (Artist, Albums, Genres, etc.) and play from both sources as if they were one. Dad won’t have to manually switch from one to the other during playback. The files located on the SD card will show a little square icon next to the track name to signify the file resides on the card, not the internal memory but that’s just for reference.

Make sure though, that the ID3 tags are the correct format, and the information within the fields are accurate. The Sansa line of mp3 players are very sensitive to these tags and display the information you (or Dad) sees on the screen from those tags exclusively. Otherwise, this could be a real source of frustration for the 'ol boy in using the player. :wink:

The e200 v2 models have the on-board Delete option, but not the v1’s. To remove anything, you (or your dad) would have to connect to a computer.

Since this player is going to be used with multiple computers and Dad not being too up-to-speed technology-wise, let me suggest you set the player to MSC mode and load everything up that way. MSC makes the player appear as just another ‘dumb’ flash-based memory source, like a thumb drive or memory stick. It will be much easier to him to manage the content. Additionally, with a v1 device, MSC mode is the only way to add files to the external memory card, so using MTP for the internal memory doesn’t make much sense.

I’d probably also not even venture into the Rockbox area. It can be confusing enough for people well-versed with tech stuff. No need to open that can 'o worms with Dad. Besides, the e260 has 4GB of on-board memory. If you get him a 2GB SD card (the largest you can use w/o the RB firmware), that’ll give him 6GB. That should be plenty. Based on how old he is and his hearing, you might be able to rip tracks at a lower bit-rate so even more will fit on it. If he can’t tell the difference between 256kbps & 128kbps, why not? That will give him room for several hundred songs.

Although the internal memory and SD card have to be loaded as separate memory locations (which they are), the player will populate its lists (Artist, Albums, Genres, etc.) and play from both sources as if they were one. Dad won’t have to manually switch from one to the other during playback. The files located on the SD card will show a little square icon next to the track name to signify the file resides on the card, not the internal memory but that’s just for reference.

Make sure too, that the ID3 tags are the correct format, and the information within the fields are accurate. The Sansa line of mp3 players are very sensitive to these tags and display the information you (or Dad) sees on the screen from those tags exclusively. Otherwise, this could be a real source of frustration for the 'ol boy in using the player. :wink:

Thanks for all the info! Since I’ll be the one putting music on and taking it off, it doesn’t have to be *too* dumbed down, lol. I might try that lower bit rate thing though, the guy does have pretty loujsy hearing- too many years of loud   metal music. (yes, my almost 60 yr old dad is a metal head).

As to the Rockbox, if it was my player, I’d probably give it a try, but since it’s for him, yeaaah, probably not. I’ll just get him a 2 gig card to hold more stuff, and let him tell me what stuff he doesn’t want on it so I can remove it.

I do feel pretty silly now for the time I spent yesterday searching all over and trying to figure out how to delete from the player though.

Thanks a lot for the help.

matron wrote:

Thanks for all the info! Since I’ll be the one putting music on and taking it off, it doesn’t have to be *too* dumbed down, lol. I might try that lower bit rate thing though, the guy does have pretty loujsy hearing- too many years of loud   metal music. ( yes, my almost 60 yr old dad is a metal head ).

As to the Rockbox , if it was my player, I’d probably give it a try, but since it’s for him, yeaaah, probably not. I’ll just get him a 2 gig card to hold more stuff, and let him tell me what stuff he doesn’t want on it so I can remove it.

He’s only 60? That’s not old!

I wouldn’t sell him short on the Rockbox thing either. Might be right up his alley. :wink:

No, but you don’t find many 60 yr old metal heads, lol.