boot time, file merging with SD card on Fuze

1. Does Fuze boot time slow down with SD card, by how much?

2. Does albums on the card exist in a separate folder? I browse music through the “Album” folder, are albums from both the internal and external card listed under the same “Album” folder?

3. Does Rockbox improve sq without eq turned on? Does Rockbox improve battery life?

4. Does it matter the Fuze I buy has v1 or v2 firmware. I can install whatever version I want to myself, right?

5. Please suggest some SD card (16gb/32gb) cheap and suitable to Fuze.

Thanks.

I don’t believe that boot time is slowed down by the SD card. A Fuze with V1 firmware can only run V1 firmware. A Fuze with V2 firmware can only run V2 firmware. However, it doesn’t really matter whether you but a V1 or V2, as they both function more or less the same.

The music is where ever you put is (or, should I say where ever your Sync software puts it). I find that music is usually placed like this:

Music(artist)(album)(songs), although this formula might very. Ultimately, the Fuze should play any song, regardless of where it is.

Rockbox without equalization shouldn’t sound any different from Sandisk’s firmware without equalization. It does seem to consume more battery, according to rockbox.org (see here).

The best deals you can get on memory cards will usually come from Amazon.com. Just be sure to buy only new cards, as used cards might have been hacked to say they have more capacity than they do (for example, a two gig card might have been made to look like a 16 gig card so that the seller might sell it for more money than they paid to buy it). Do yourself a favor, don’t fall for this scam.

@kanonathena wrote:

1. Does Fuze boot time slow down with SD card, by how much?

Yes. It depends on how many files you have on the card, and the ID3 tags of said files.

1. Does albums on the card exist in a separate folder? I browse music through the “Album” folder, are albums from both the internal and external card listed under the same “Album” folder?

Physically yes. However when you browse the menus (Artists, Album, etc.) the player is not displaying the file information, but rather the data from the ID3 tags of the files. If you have upgraded the firmware on you Fuze, you will see Folder mode at the bottom of the Music menu. This will allow you to browse by folder’file just like on your computer.

1. Does Rockbox improve sq without eq turned on? Does Rockbox improve battery life?

I don’t think so. Some claim it does, but it depends largely on what type of files the player is reading.

1. Does it matter the Fuze I buy has v1 or v2 firmware. I can install whatever version I want to myself, right?

No. There are 2 different internal hardware configurations. Hence the need for 2 different firmware versions.

1. Please suggest some SD card (16gb/32gb) cheap and suitable to Fuze.

SanDisk. You can’t go wrong buying a card from the same manufacturer as the player.

Thanks.

You’re welcome. :smiley: