better organization of my sansa e260

I’ve had a few iPods before I got my Sansa, and as silly as it may sound to some of you I’ve always been weird about having my music organized correctly. What I mean by that is that I like everything to have album art as well as correct labels ect. So basically no matter what I do in the media player I use it doesn’t correctly change the ID3 tags. Some of my music has album artwork and whatnot, but a lot of it is labeled as unknown all together even tho in my media player it is all labeled correctly. So my question is what would be the best way of adding artwork and correct labels to all my music? I don’t care how tedious it is btw…lol. Also I use Linux but I have access to Windows if need be. Thanks in advance and hopefully someone can answer my question.

I use Mp3tagto set the tags.  Make sure it’s set to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.  Your problem is probably caused by ID3 tags of the wrong version.  Sansa won’t recognize ID3v2.4 or UTF-16.

The most reliable way to display cover art is to put it in an image named “album art.jpg” in the same directory as the songs.  This madates having a separate directory for each album, but WinAmp will create those for you (I think MediaMonkey will too, but I haven’t used that.)  I use Robocopy to keep my album art current.

Kristofer wrote:

I’ve had a few iPods before I got my Sansa, and as silly as it may sound to some of you I’ve always been weird about having my music organized correctly. What I mean by that is that I like everything to have album art as well as correct labels ect.

I don’t think that’s silly at all. It just takes setting up and following a few procedures on every track before you transfer it to the player. Add an ‘album art.jpg’ image to the album folder and edit the ID3 tags. I even go 1 step further on every CD I rip that might eventually end up on one of my players . . . run the tracks through MP3Gain to adjust the db level to approx. the same for all. That way I’m not constantly raising and lowering the volume on the player every time a new track starts.

And believe it or not, most adjustments made by MP3Gain actually lowers the db level. The majority of CD’s produced today are recorded so ‘hot’ that there is ineveitabley clipping and distortion that I’d rather not hear.

Kristofer wrote:

I’ve had a few iPods before I got my Sansa, and as silly as it may sound to some of you I’ve always been weird about having my music organized correctly. What I mean by that is that I like everything to have album art as well as correct labels ect.

I don’t think that’s silly at all. It just takes setting up and following a few procedures on every track before you transfer it to the player. Add an ‘album art.jpg’ image to the album folder and edit the ID3 tags. I even go 1 step further on every CD I rip that might eventually end up on one of my players . . . run the tracks through MP3Gain to adjust the db level to approx. the same for all. That way I’m not constantly raising and lowering the volume on the player every time a new track starts.

And believe it or not, most adjustments made by MP3Gain actually lowers the db level. The majority of CD’s produced today are recorded so ‘hot’ that there is inevitably clipping and distortion that I’d rather not hear.