Battery runs down even when not using

I bought a refurbished sandisk and it works fine but ther battery runs down even when I’m not using it. Is this normal?

No. 

I’d try downloading the latest firmware and see if that helps.  Also, try a reset (on switch held uppermost for 15-20 seconds).  And I’d try leaving it charging for a good, long time (overnight).  If it still drains, it’s defective, refurbished or not, and should be replaced by the seller.

An unused Clip will retain power for many months, if not more.  

How fast does it run down. I believe it may be normal if you turn of normally, but is shouldn’t run down very fast. If you are going to leave it off for more than a week or so, turn off by moving slider up and holding for 15 sec. This will lose some of the settings like last played etc.

My GPS device runs down after a couple of weeks on non-use. Of course, since device is refurbished the battery may not be in pristine condition.

I just downloaded the latest firmware and will keep an eye on the battery % by rt clicking on properties for a few days

@earltwitty wrote:
I just downloaded the latest firmware and will keep an eye on the battery % by rt clicking on properties for a few days

You won’t get an accurate reading that way, because it will be receiving charge from the computer. Just look at Settings–>System Info–>Power on the Clip itself, while it is not connected to the computer.

Oh, 1 other thing to try:  reformat the Clip from the Clip.  Hopefully, between all of these things, the Clip will remedy itself.

I bought 3 clips; a new 4GB from Office Depot, and 2 recertified 1 GB units from buy.com The two with ver 2 firmware work great. The one 1GB w/ ver 1 firmware couldn’t hold a charge for more than a day or so, even with no use. There is plenty of history online about old clips with faulty batteries and many end up resold as recertified. I complained to buy.com and they issued a free return ticket via UPS. Their refund policy is super strict and I expected them to send it back saying it works, but they refunded every cent.

Yeah, I got a bad “refurbished” Clip from w00t.com, too.  Battery lead(s) detached.  Evidently “refurbishing” or “recertifying” means that someone wipes it with a cloth.