Battery Life.

I’ve been meaning to post about the clock for some time - can it be switched off? Surely it drains the battery to some extent when the Fuze is switched “off”?

Similarly, does the selection of the “normal” equalizer preset effectively switch equalization completely off? Otherwise the Fuze is performing unnecessary processing on audio. 

@nickc wrote:

I’ve been meaning to post about the clock for some time - can it be switched off? Surely it drains the battery to some extent when the Fuze is switched “off”?

Similarly, does the selection of the “normal” equalizer preset effectively switch equalization completely off? Otherwise the Fuze is performing unnecessary processing on audio. 

No way to shut off the clock that I’m aware of. As far as the EQ, using anything but “normal” increases draw on the battery, so I guess that means it is off.

The Clock is an additional feature for this MP3 player and unfortunately there is no way to disable the clock and in addition to this; the clock may also require for the subscription music for the player because songs may expire in a specific time frame.

:wink: 

NickC wrote:

No & no.

The clock cannot be turned off. And it does not create drain upon the battery, even if the device is turned off as it has a separate little hearing-aid style button battery that powers the clock and provides power to the secondary memory chip that saves your personal settings, just like the one in your computer. These little guys are designed for many, many years of service as the power consumption is extremely miniscule.

NickC wrote:

Yes. Normal EQ = Flat Frequency Response, meaning NO EQ or OFF.

Right, thanks for the clear answers. I asked in the first instance mainly because the battery charge on my Fuze degrades over time (unused, in my rucksack) and when I switch back on some number of days there is less (or even no) charge.

@nickc wrote:
Right, thanks for the clear answers. I asked in the first instance mainly because the battery charge on my Fuze degrades over time (unused, in my rucksack) and when I switch back on some number of days there is less (or even no) charge.

There should be no appreciable or measureable battery drain while the unit is off. I have some that don’t get used for months that still have the same charge when I turn them on as what they did when last used. I’d return it to where you bought it (if you’re within the exchange or return time-frame) for another one, or contact SanDisk directly (call them, _ don’t _ e-mail) for an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization). They’ll most likely replace it under the 1 year warranty.