Battery life for OGG

How long will a 2gb Fuze battery last playing OGGs?

There is no way to answer that. There are too many variables. The brightness of the screen, the duration of the backlight, the powersaver options, how manytimes you press the skip button, and sleep timer are all things that change the battery life. Ogg does take more to process so it does take the battery life down.

I’m not looking for an exact number, just an estimation or an upper/lower limit

Again there is no way to tell. They dont test it with ogg like they do with mp3. I use ogg but I never hit the skip button, I have the brightness as low as possible, and I have the baklight timer at 5 seconds, and I get almost 20 hours, but I also use an sd card, so that makes a difference. The only way to know with your fuze is to try it.

OK, thanks.

Ogg uses about 1/3 more power than mp3’s.  The processor is clocked at a higher rate.    This is assuming it is the same ratio as the Sansa Clip,  considering they use the same processor.       Assuming Mp3’s battery life at around 20 hours as estimated by Sansa,    will get 13.2 hours playing Oggs.  

I doubt playing with the backlight brightness or various setting will have much effect on straight playback of music.     But if you do play with the controls often then they make reduce the battery life even more.

Ogg sucks battery’s so does Flac and of course video does.  lol

Cheers,

Ogg uses about 1/3 more power than mp3’s.  The processor is clocked at a higher rate.    This is assuming it is the same ratio as the Sansa Clip,  considering they use the same processor.       Assuming Mp3’s battery life at around 20 hours as estimated by Sansa,    will get 13.2 hours playing Oggs.  

I doubt playing with the backlight brightness or various setting will have much effect on straight playback of music.     But if you do play with the controls often then they may reduce the battery life even more.

Cheers,

@niko_sama wrote:

I doubt playing with the backlight brightness or various setting will have much effect on straight playback of music.     But if you do play with the controls often then they may reduce the battery life even more.

Cheers,

With my settings on mp3 I was getting dern close to the “Suggested battery length”, since I switched and turned everything down I am getting between 19-20 hours of playback.

I’d be amazed if that were true.  But if it is, then that means mp3’s will last 28.5 to 30 hours.   I think you are blowing smoke.   Do a real test.   But regardless it will be 1/3 shorter than mp3 file formats. 

It was running about 24-25 hours, I had most of my mp3 at 192kbps, I also have the volume turned really low (My headphones actually rest on the eardrum), the screen is as dark as it goes, the backlight is 5 seconds, I never advance the song, I didnt have album art on the tags at the time, I did very little that would decrease any battery power. I will also say this, I am an art student so my math STINKS BIG TIME. I dont like to let my player get below 50% so I timed that, and multiplied by 2. There is no telling how long the last 50% would have lasted it might have been only a few hours. I have done the same thing since I switched to ogg, with album art, and it comes out to be nearly 20. But like I said thats the first 50% x 2.  I just realized that since the battery indicator is not based on a liner measurement, I am gonna try it with 25 % that seems to go faster, (ie it drops to 25% in 2-3 hours) and it takes 7-8 hours to get to 50% so perhaps its not so reliable.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 02-19-2009 01:05 AM

The power% is like most gas gauges, its an estimate.  The Power% reported on the Clip goes in ~ 7% increments. 0, 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, 42, 50, 57, 65, 71, 78, 85, 92, 100.      It was also not always updated (it would stick on the last reading) unless you turned the clip off and back on.  Margin for error is unknown.  I would guess +/- 7% at any random check plus any non linear variance or offsets.

It’s about as good as any other portable products battery guesstimate.   Guessing off the estimated power% is not going to be an accurate prediction.

Thats what I told the OP. But they wanted a Guess so I did.

@niko_sama wrote:

The power% is like most gas gauges, its an estimate.  The Power% reported on the Clip goes in ~ 7% increments. 0, 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, 42, 50, 57, 65, 71, 78, 85, 92, 100.      It was also not always updated (it would stick on the last reading) unless you turned the clip off and back on.  Margin for error is unknown.  I would guess +/- 7% at any random check plus any non linear variance or offsets.

It’s about as good as any other portable products battery guesstimate.   Guessing off the estimated power% is not going to be an accurate prediction.

How much time did the custom EQ eat up in your tests? I think I’ve read here up to 10% but I don’t know how accurate that is.

In the power tests for the clip  I left the EQ at its default setting ,  (normal)

As weird as it may seem,  I didn’t see much change in battery consumption when testing the earphones at 0, 1/4,  1/2 and 3/4 volume.    there was only a small change and it wasn’t significant.   All the headphones and earbuds had the same impedance. 

I have planned to do 3 music tests with various types music…   Top 100 (mix),   Easy listening,    Hard Rock, and I may throw in a test with classical.   Encoded using the same settings.   Just for fun.     Just to see how much variation is based on the playing of certain types of data,  or if its just dependent on the CPU’s clock.     Maybe after than I will revisit a test with EQ and headphones.      

But it all depends on my time    ><   these tests are long and I think I’ve seen enough for my curiosity.

Battery capacity degrades over time. Unless your devices have the same kind of battery, are roughly of the same age and were used in a similar fashion during that time then its hard to compare running times.

@plasm wrote:
Battery capacity degrades over time. Unless your devices have the same kind of battery, are roughly of the same age and were used in a similar fashion during that time then its hard to compare running times.

They also very between each others capacity when new.   The battery tests on the clips were on a new v2 clip and about a 4 month old v1 Clip.   The results are posted here :   http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=14326&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

@plasm wrote:

Battery capacities can very between each other when new as well.   The battery tests on the clips were on a new v2 clip and about a 4 month old v1 Clip.   The results are posted here :   http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=14326&view=by_date_ascending&page=1