Battery Indicator and double files

Hello,

ive recently bought a Clip+ 8GB and ive some problems with that:

After charging the Battery i updated the firmware to 1.02.15, made my adjustments, loaded the player with music via msc and drag and drop from a mac.

First problem are some (not all) files which are twice in my list, one playable, one not. The unplayable files are signed with “.-” in front of the filename.

In Finder these files are not shown.

The other problem is the Battery indicator, after loading the player i let it play with max volume to test the Battery Life and after ~10 hours it shows half full.

2 hours later and the player was off with empty Battery.

Display brightness is set to low, files are mp3s with 128 - 256kb.

This player is the replacement because the first one have had the same problem with the indicator and i returned it as defective to amazon.

I heard with the first one 5-6 times on my way to work and at 2 times it has an empty battery after i start in the morning with the indicator shows half full in the morning.

Can anyone confirm this behavior and is there maybe a solution?

Greetings and thanks

R3van

Message Edited by R3van on 06-12-2010 09:43 AM

Message Edited by R3van on 06-12-2010 09:46 AM

R3van wrote:

Hello,

ive recently bought a Clip+ 8GB and ive some problems with that:

After charging the Battery i updated the firmware to 1.02.15, made my adjustments, loaded the player with music via msc and drag and drop from a mac.

First problem are some (not all) files which are twice in my list, one playable, one not. The unplayable files are signed with “.-” in front of the filename.

In Finder these files are not shown.

Asked and answered dozens of times. Do a search. Your Mac is putting these ‘ghost’ files on.

Yes, thanks for the hint.
By the way, i didn`t found anything about that in the Clip+ - Forum instead i found it in the e200 area.

And the battery meter? there are a few posts mentioned it but i didn`t found a reason or a solution

As you’ve seen, the battery level indicator is not as accurate as one might like–it doesn’t show a more constant and accurate discharge rate and battery level.  I thought that this had been fixed, at least to a degree, with the latest firmware upgrade, but perhaps I’m mis-recalling.

Regardless, now you know the behavior and can adapt to it, until this might be fixed–when you see the dip in the battery indicator, you know that you have power enough for awhile of listening, but not matching the amount of time that you’ve already had; time to recharge.

Tapeworm, I don’t believe this has been asked and answered dozens of times. Also, searching forums, this and others, is never an easy task. Asking the question again, only shows there still isn’t a fix from anyone. No wonder people simply bite the bullet and purchase an iPod.

wplj42 wrote:
Tapeworm, I don’t believe this has been asked and answered dozens of times. Also, searching forums, this and others, is never an easy task. Asking the question again, only shows there still isn’t a fix from anyone. No wonder people simply bite the bullet and purchase an iPod.

No, it simply means the person wants the answer spoon-fed to them instead of spending a few minutes looking to see if the answer already exists (which it usually does). To look (and search) for an answer before posting is common (and expected) forum courtesy, regardless of what forum you’re on. The reason searching “is never an easy task” is mainly because of so many results one gets when using a search function. The person searching feels overwhelmed and is too lazy to read through the results to see which post may contain what they are looking for. Why are there so many results, or ‘hits’? Because people keep asking the same questions over and over, rather than seeking out and finding the answers that are already there. Hence exasperating and multiplying the problem.

The fact that the OP replied back and said he/she did find the answer to the ghost file issue that plagues people using Sansas & Macs proves my point. The answer is here. It does not matter that he found it in the e200 board. There are similar posts in virtually every board here. And regardless, the same answer would apply to all Sansa mp3 players. The problem is not unique to any one model. And it is also not a Sansa problem that can be fixed; the problem lies with the Mac and the way it operates.

Here’s one from the Fuze board.

Here’s one from the Clip+ board.

Here’s another one from the Fuze board written by someone who even explained the problem and solution on his own website.All you have to do is follow his link in this post.

And there are others; ferreting just these 3 instances out took me all of about 2 minutes (including reading to see which ones applied and posting the links to them). They were all on the 1st page of results. The is less time that it takes to register, compose and post a message asking the same thing again.

Now, on to the OP’s 2nd question . . . it is true that may people find the battery level icon inaccurate in displaying the actual battery charge remaining. It has also been acknowledged by folks at SanDisk that the display is not ‘linear’. They are attempting to improve on this in future firmware updates. And yes, this has been posted here before as well.

But given that, the OP stated that he got 12 hours out of a single battery charge. I wouldn’t be complaining too much about those results, in spite of what the icon said the charge was supposed to be. If you look around, there are some who are not getting but half that.

wplj42 wrote:

No, it simply means the person wants the answer spoon-fed to them instead of spending a few minutes looking to see if the answer already exists (which it usually does). To look (and search) for an answer before posting is common (and expected) forum courtesy, regardless of what forum you’re on. The reason searching “is never an easy task” is mainly because of so many results one gets when using a search function. The person searching feels overwhelmed and is too lazy to read through the results to see which post may contain what they are looking for. Why are there so many results, or ‘hits’? Because people keep asking the same questions over and over, rather than seeking out and finding the answers that are already there. Hence exasperating and multiplying the problem.

The fact that the OP replied back and said he/she did find the answer to the ghost file issue that plagues people using Sansas & Macs proves my point. The answer is here. It does not matter that he found it in the e200 board. There are similar posts in virtually every board here. And regardless, the same answer would apply to all Sansa mp3 players. The problem is not unique to any one model. And it is also not a Sansa problem that can be fixed; the problem lies with the Mac and the way it operates.

Here’s another one from the Fuze board written by someone who even explained the problem and solution on his own website.All you have to do is follow his link in this post.

And there are others; ferreting just these 3 instances out took me all of about 2 minutes (including reading to see which ones applied and posting the links to them). They were all on the 1st page of results. The is less time that it takes to register, compose and post a message asking the same thing again.

Now, on to the OP’s 2nd question . . . it is true that may people find the battery level icon inaccurate in displaying the actual battery charge remaining. It has also been acknowledged by folks at SanDisk that the display is not ‘linear’. They are attempting to improve on this in future firmware updates. And yes, this has been posted here before as well.

But given that, the OP stated that he got 12 hours out of a single battery charge. I wouldn’t be complaining too much about those results, in spite of what the icon said the charge was supposed to be. If you look around, there are some who are not getting but half that.

wplj42 wrote:

Here’s another one from the Fuze board written by someone who even explained the problem and solution on his own website. All you have to do is follow his link in this post.

wplj42 wrote:

Here’s another one from the Fuze board written by someone who even explained the problem and solution on his own website. All you have to do is follow the link in his post.

I have found a solution, but it ain’t pretty. I don’t know about playlists, as I don’t use them on my Clip+. But I have Ubuntu installed on my iMac using VirtualBox. Linux doesn’t have the same issues as the Mac Finder. The double listings don’t seem to take place using Ubuntu.

I don’t think it should be such a big deal when someone asks a question that may have been asked before. I don’t look at the other forums, as I only have a Clip+. Life is too short. A global moderator at another forum site, sent me a private message, and all but said Mac users are lazy.

That is why my reply came across the way it did. I didn’t mean to be so harsh.

This is a pretty decent forum, as forums go.

I can make more information available, if needed.