battery dead?

I haven’t used my player in a couple weeks as I went on vacation and I come back and the player no longer works without being plugged in.  It is recognized just fine in the PC, and works when plugged into a 5V USB wall charger, but immediately turns off when disconnected.  The battery is being displayed as 90 to 100% when plugged into the wall charger.  I’ve reset all and formated in the player, and upgraded the firmware by using the wall charger, but nothing helps.

I recently bought a refurbished Clip from woot.com, and it arrived with the same problem.  I searched through this forum and it seems like the most likely cause is a disconnected battery lead inside the Clip.

@promisedplanet wrote:
I recently bought a refurbished Clip from woot.com, and it arrived with the same problem.  I searched through this forum and it seems like the most likely cause is a disconnected battery lead inside the Clip.

Which, if you read a lot of the older posts in this board, battery lead solder joints were a common problem with the earlier Clips resulting in mass returns to SanDisk (and retailers).

Where do you think woot.com got a hold of so many at such a good price? :wink:

**bleep**, i’ve had this clip for as long as I have been registered here… 1.5 years.  I am SOL? I’m handy with the solder gun but if i remember its very complicated to take it apart.

edit: I just tried connecting it as a USB disk and format it in windows.  It failed, and now it isn’t recognized, stating there is not enough space for the music DB when I connect it to the wall charger or the computer as MTP.  As USB it is seen in windows but I can’t format it and it says it is unknown size :frowning:

@tapeworm wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

Which, if you read a lot of the older posts in this board, battery lead solder joints were a common problem with the earlier Clips resulting in mass returns to SanDisk (and retailers).

I suspected as much, but didn’t want to think such nasty thoughts about … well, is it possible that SanDisk was aware it was selling defective Clips to Woot?

@johnnyz86 wrote:

**bleep**, i’ve had this clip for as long as I have been registered here… 1.5 years.  I am SOL? I’m handy with the solder gun but if i remember its very complicated to take it apart.

edit: I just tried connecting it as a USB disk and format it in windows.  It failed, and now it isn’t recognized, stating there is not enough space for the music DB when I connect it to the wall charger or the computer as MTP.  As USB it is seen in windows but I can’t format it and it says it is unknown size :frowning:

Regarding the music DB message, see if something in this thread helps you:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=18885

@promisedplanet wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

I suspected as much, but didn’t want to think such nasty thoughts about … well, is it possible that SanDisk was aware it was selling defective Clips to Woot?

What do you think they do with all the returns they get? They throw them all in a bin (maybe sorting by model), then when it gets full, they sell the whole kit-and-kaboodle to a ‘refurber’, who ‘supposedly’ fixes them (but many times doesn’t) and then sells them to places that deal in re-furbs like woot.com. Not to cap on Woot necessarily; others sell re-furbs too like TigerDirect, Buy.com, Froobi and more.

Refurbs are always a

Some have good luck with them, others don’t. But that’s why they’re cheaper than new ones. :wink: 

@johnnyz86 wrote:

In terms pf getting a warranty replacement . . . I’d say yeah, pretty much.

But with nothing to lose you could try fixing it yourself. Hopefully it is just a simple case of a loose or broken solder connection to the battery.

This thread over on the ABI forum might be of some help. I’m sure the detailed dis-assembly photos will be. :wink:

It’s not that complicated per say, but the Clip is very small making it very delicate & precise work. Get out your achitect-style swing-arm magnifying glass & lamp. Good Luck!

@promisedplanet wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

What do you think they do with all the returns they get? They throw them all in a bin (maybe sorting by model), then when it gets full, they sell the whole kit-and-kaboodle to a refurber, who ‘supposedly’ fixes them (but many times doesn’t) and then sells them to places that deal in re-furbs like woot.com. Not to cap on Woot necessarily; others sell re-furbs too like TigerDirect, Buy.com, Froobi and more.

Refurbs are always a

Some have good luck with them, others don’t. But that’s why they’re cheaper than new ones. :wink: