battery charge has failed

OK,  I have 2gb Sansa Clip (Version 1) until this week totally pleased with performance.  I upgraded my Sansa Updater, hadn’t upgraded firmware for a while, but not up to date.  Well my battery is not holding a charge.  It will run on AC but the minute I remove there is no power.  Did a format, checked to see what version of firmware and it is the 1.01.32A.  I can listen to selected info on AC but not portable with out a battery charge (duh, I know redundant, just making sure it is clear)  I have been trouble shooting and can’t find an answer.  Help!!!  Oh by the way it is about 1.5 yrs old.  Tkx

By any chance, did it fall recently?  It sounds like a lead may have come detached from the battery …

Other suggestions I have seen are to reset it (when off, on switch held uppermost for 15-20 seconds); reformat it from the Clip; and reapply the firmware (see the sticky thread at the top of the forum).  I hope that one or the other of these might do the trick, rather than the loose battery lead situation.

The exact same thing just happened to me last week.  It works fine if it is plugged in, but dies immediately when the plug is pulled.   Not even a flicker of power when turned on.  Although I’ve dropped mine a million times (also 2 gb about 1.5 years old), it was sitting happily on my bike when it died.  The battery shows over 3/4 full when it’s plugged in.  Tried updating firmware, no luck.  Tried to reset, but nothing happens.  Not sure yet how to try to format it, but I’ll be surprised if that does anything, either.  I miss my clip!

@m2me wrote:
The exact same thing just happened to me last week.  It works fine if it is plugged in, but dies immediately when the plug is pulled.   Not even a flicker of power when turned on. 

This sounds like your battery wire has broken off.   A few crazy people have opened up thier clips to resolder the battery wire…   Here is what the insides look like.  http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/11/sandisk-sansa-clip-disassembled.php