backlight always stays on -> low battery life

I’ve had my sansa fuze silver 8G for maybe a year.  The battery has never lasted longer than 3 hours.   It wasn’t a huge deal, but now I am wanting it to last longer.  I realized that the backlight always stays on, no matter what I put for the backlight settings.   I reset to factory defaults. I updated to the latest firmware.   Still, always, the backlight is still on my fuze player, and the display switches between the current song with musical bars, and the album cover. 

Any ideas what I can do to fix this so my battery lasts longer?

sounds like your center button is stuck on. pushing the center switches view when playing music to show music output graph or album art.

Message Edited by Truex on 04-19-2009 12:54 PM

go to settings and see if the backlight is set to on

Did you even read the OP?

“I realized that the backlight always stays on, no matter what I put for the backlight settings.”

my bad you whould throw it against the wall work for me

Message Edited by delonh24 on 04-19-2009 11:44 AM

You have operated it this way for a year!!

I would try applying a new copy of the firmware, in hopes that something is amiss there.  Maybe your backlight will begin timing out normally.

On the other hand, does the ring light stay on as well?  Just to be certain, check your backlight setting via Settings > System Settings > Backlight > [something less than forever].  The e200 series has the option [On], that I use when docked.  The Fuze limit is [1 hour].

No wonder your battery isn’t lasting, as running the charge pump continuously to drive the display LEDs consumes lots of electrons.

You can contact Support at 1-866-SanDisk concerning this bizarre issue; they may be able to help you out.  I admire your patience in having dealt with it.  Be sure to tell them, as you get an “A” for effort in my book. You need a Fuze that runs a wee bit longer.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Resistance is futile (if < 1 ohm)

Thanks for the repsonses.  Yes, the ring light does always stay on.  Took me a while to figure out what you meant by that!!!

I checked my email receipt, and I’ve only had it since Nov 6th, so that’s about 6 months. I just never really needed the battery to last more than 3 hours till recently, so I didn’t really put any thought into it! I will contact support to see if they can help.

Message Edited by keyone on 04-19-2009 04:17 PM

i contacted support, and my unit was still under warranty.  I got a new one and it works properly - the backlight times out!   Now I can listen to 24 hours of music. Thanks for the help!

@keyone wrote:
i contacted support, and my unit was still under warranty.  I got a new one and it works properly - the backlight times out!   Now I can listen to 24 hours of music. Thanks for the help!

Please note 24 hours is based on 128 kbps mp3 with no backlight and no tags to be read… Its not a realistic expectation… If you get 20 you are doing really well

Oh, well, I was only getting 3.5 to 4, so even if I just get 20, it’s all good!   I did leave it on overnight once, and it was still playin in the am, woot!