Audiobook speed too fast, even in SLOW

I gave up on my View and bought a Fuze for audiobooks, and I have been very happy.  I have downloaded a number of titles thru my public library, which uses Recorded Books, and listened to them just fine.  I just finished book one in the Sookie Stackhouse series, and deleted it this morning.  Then I downloaded the second book in the series and copied it to my Fuze.  HOWEVER, it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks!  It plays normally on my computer, and I copied it to a cheapie MP3 player, and it sounds fine.  I deleted it from my Sansa and copied it again, and it STILL sounds like chipmunks talking.  I found the Audiobook Options under Settings, and changed the speed to “Slow,” and it’s ALMOST understandable, but still impossible to listen to.  I listen to other files already on my Fuze, and they play fine; it’s just this new audiobook that is chipmunk-y, and only on my Sansa.  What happened, and more importantly, how do I fix it???

Have you tried updating to the latest firwmare?

No, I’ve only had it a month or so.  It says it’s version V0101.11A.    I’m reluctant to do any firmware updates becuse I initially tried that with my SansaView, and that made my audiobook problems WORSE, not better.  That’s why I finally gave up and bought this Fuze, which has worked beautifully (including bookmarking) until I got this chipmunk book yesterday.  I just finished listening to book 1 of the series fine, so I assumed I’d have no problem with this second book by the same author and from the same audiobook company.

The fact that the file plays just fine on WindowsMediaPlayer and also on a friend’s $20 MP3 player (but no bookmarking… ARGH!) tells me the problem is with my Fuze, not the file.

The audiobook is an MP3 file.  Is there something I can do to the file itself?  Or do you still recommend I do a firmware update?

@bonnie wrote:

No, I’ve only had it a month or so.  It says it’s version V0101.11A.    I’m reluctant to do any firmware updates becuse I initially tried that with my SansaView, and that made my audiobook problems WORSE, not better.  That’s why I finally gave up and bought this Fuze, which has worked beautifully (including bookmarking) until I got this chipmunk book yesterday.  I just finished listening to book 1 of the series fine, so I assumed I’d have no problem with this second book by the same author and from the same audiobook company.

The fact that the file plays just fine on WindowsMediaPlayer and also on a friend’s $20 MP3 player (but no bookmarking… ARGH!) tells me the problem is with my Fuze, not the file.

The audiobook is an MP3 file.  Is there something I can do to the file itself?  Or do you still recommend I do a firmware update?

That’s an OLD firmware you still have. You should absolutely do an update from that one. Look at  this post to find out how. :smiley:

OK, Marvin Martian, since you and Sansaguru both are recommending I do this, I’ll go ahead, in spite of my last disaster up(down)dating my View.  Of course, my Mother always told me that the minute some guy says, “Trust me…” I should jump OUT of the back seat of that car and… oh, wait, different scenario!

OK, holding my breath and clicking your link…

@bonnie wrote:

OK, Marvin Martian, since you and Sansaguru both are recommending I do this, I’ll go ahead, in spite of my last disaster up(down)dating my View.  Of course, my Mother always told me that the minute some guy says, “Trust me…” I should jump OUT of the back seat of that car and… oh, wait, different scenario!

OK, holding my breath and clicking your link…

The View is a whole different animal…buggy to begin with, never truly fixed, and now apparently forgotten.:smiley:

YAY!!!  HOORAY!!!  The chipmunks have been exterminated from my Fuze!  I love you, I love you!   I was worried I’d bought another beast like the View and was in for more nightmares involving file conversions and tag editing and variable bit rates vs. sample rates and sine waves and hertzes and compressed formats and compound interest and carbon dioxide emissions and H1N1 infections and runs batted in stats and No Child Left Behind.  The firmware update neutralized (neutered?) the chipmunks and as long as I haven’t lost bookmarking abilities now, I’m in business. 

I appreciate your help.  You guys ROCK!

@bonnie wrote:

YAY!!!  HOORAY!!!  The chipmunks have been exterminated from my Fuze!  I love you, I love you!   I was worried I’d bought another beast like the View and was in for more nightmares involving file conversions and tag editing and variable bit rates vs. sample rates and sine waves and hertzes and compressed formats and compound interest and carbon dioxide emissions and H1N1 infections and runs batted in stats and No Child Left Behind.  The firmware update neutralized (neutered?) the chipmunks and as long as I haven’t lost bookmarking abilities now, I’m in business. 

I appreciate your help.  You guys ROCK!

Glad to hear it!