AUDIO BOOKS NEWBIE

I used the Overdrive Console to download two books to the player.  Apparently there is no option to download them directly to the Audiobooks folder so they ended up under Music.  It seems that I can transfer them into the Audiobooks folder using My Computer.  I understand that this gives me the ability to resume a book where I last paused.  If I am limiting myself to Audiobooks, can I dispense with using Windows Media Player?

Message Edited by BenFranklin on 12-24-2009 03:25 PM

“It seems that I can transfer them into the Audiobooks folder using My Computer. I understand that this gives me the ability to resume a book where I last paused. If I am limiting myself to Audiobooks, can I dispense with using Windows Media Player?”

Moving a file that is protected using my computer might not move the license though. It might work though since you are just moving it within the player’s memory. You could try it. A less risky way to get the book to viewed by the player as an audiobook is to change the genre tag for each of the book files to audiobook. I believe this won’t do any damage to the licenses.

Windows Media player  comes with the mtp drivers so that protected music is playable. If you uninstall it, these drivers may also be uninstalled, and you won’t be able to play protected files. Windows Media Player is a handy program. Besides making ripping CDs to mp3 or wma files very easy, it has variable speed playback with pitch correction, so if a speaker is speaking too slow, you can increase the play speed up to 2x normal and still have their voice sound natural. I wish I could do this on my mp3 players. Windows Media Player can be a pain though if it is open when the player is connected. I normally only use it while my players are not connected to my pc. 

I have used a Creative Zen+ MP3 player to listen to audio books that I downloaded with Overdrive and I never had a license problem.  Once War and Peace is transferred to the Zen you can take two years to listen to it.  However the license back on the computer expires in two weeks and you can no longer listen to it on the computer.  Is the Sansa Clip+ different and licenses count?

I think you are having the same problem I had.  I got some really great replies–answers in my thread. You might find help there.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&thread.id=2253