Aspen? Are you kidding me?

Have a look at this article regarding the continuing housing market bubble in Aspen Colorado.  Apparently, smugness does indeed have a price.

Have a look at the slideshow here.  A prefabricated home for $559,000?  A 1930s- vintage two bedroom for $1 Million?

Egads.

I’m not keeping up with the Joneses, they can have it.  I’ve lived among some of that “riffraff”, dodged the BMWs and Bentleys, and sat in absolute awe at women who had spent untold hours preening before hopping to the corner market to but some half and half.

It’s not that I don’t appreciate the fancy things out there.  If that’s your cup of tea, life’s little rewards are fine after hard work.  It just doesn’t look anything like the Aspen I knew as a kid in the early 70s.  Looks like the dachas have sprouted in Colorado.

The photos are pretty impressive.  It just upsets me to see a modular at such a ridiculous asking price.  Well, not really.  That a bank has been willing to put folks on the hook for that much is the real evil out there.  Didn’t we just learn this lesson?  The only reason real estate flew into the stratosphere is because of the simple mechanism in which “the next guy” could get a half a zillion dollars for that house if you weren’t willing to take the bait.  Somewhere along the line, we’ve been numbed.  That isn’t funny money, it’s real cash.  Just don’t ask that question in Washington, where you’ll see that the lunatics are loose in the asylum.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: