ARGHHHH!!!!!! Reinstalled OS (after computer crashed) now PC won't recoginze Clip

I had to re-install my OS and now my Clip wont work. I have tried to follow all of the directions for installing an MTP driver but it doesn’t let me. I get “the class installer has denied the request to install or update.” I have a really old firmware I guess because I don’t have USB mode in my settings. I don’ tknow if I missed an essential install when I re-loaded everything or what. I did get something about a BIOS driver,  but I honestly don’t have a clue what that is. BTW I tried to download Windows Media Player 11 but it wouldn’t download either. Help please!!!

Message Edited by segolilly on 04-07-2009 10:45 PM

omg…i dont know about u…but i kinda have the same problem too…my pc sorry my labtop…my dell labtop…is not recognizing my clip either…even tho it is charging…gosh it takes forever to charge…it worked for sister fine…or maybe its me…i dont get it…i got it as a hand me down cause my sis got an ipod nano for her b-day…so yeah…i asked her if she gots to load or install anything and she says all she di was just plug it in usb port and wallah…but yeah…it didnt do that for me…ughhhhh. i kinda sorta like this clippy thing…

If you can’t download WMP11, then you have far more serious problems than an unrecognisable Clip.

Does WMP11 fail to download, or did you manage to download it but it failed to install?

Without MTP on the PC or a setting in the Clip’s firmware, you can still temporarily use the Clip in MSC mode if you:

Switch off the Cliip.

Slide the power switch down to the “Hold” position.

Press the centre button, and keep it pressed while you connect the Clip to the PC.

Keep pressing the centre button (for 5-10 seconds) until the Clip is recognised.

You’ll then be able to see the Clip’s files in Windows Explorer. The Clip will remain in MSC mode until you disconnect

However, without MTP you won’t be able to see any files on the Clip which were transferred there in MTP mode; so you won’t be able to delete them except by doing a hard reset on the Clip: push the power switch up, and hold it there for 20 seconds.

You are right. WMP 11 will download but won’t install it says it is unable to complete setup. And the MSC mode worked. - Thank you. Any ideas on what is going on with my PC. (This stinks! Stupid Roller Coaster Tycoon! If my son hadn’t left it running so it go stuck in an ifninte loop, I wouldn’t have had to re-install the OS and everything would still work just fine.)

@njd wrote:

However, without MTP you won’t be able to see any files on the Clip which were transferred there in MTP mode; so you won’t be able to delete them except by doing a hard reset on the Clip: push the power switch up, and hold it there for 20 seconds.

Resetting won’t delete any files. Reformatting will, and you can do that from the Clip menu. But reformatting is non-selective (it will delete ALL your files).

So what is the point off the MSC mode if you cant see any of the files. Can I upgrade the firmware to make it work maybe.

I would like to add and take off some songs, but if I can’t this thing is pretty much useless. Can you tell Im getting frustrated?

@segolilly wrote:

So what is the point off the MSC mode if you cant see any of the files. Can I upgrade the firmware to make it work maybe.

I would like to add and take off some songs, but if I can’t this thing is pretty much useless. Can you tell Im getting frustrated?

When in MSC mode, your computer can’t see any files loaded in MTP mode (and vice versa). The player will see all files loaded in either mode.

The reason for two modes is to give you a choice between how you put files on the player. In MSC mode, you can simply drag-and-drop files to the player. MTP mode is used for syncing files with the various “jukebox” programs like WMP, Rhapsody, etc. MTP mode is also REQUIRED to transfer DRM-protected files.

While you were in MSC mode, did you update the firmware? That will put the option to choose between modes in the menu so you don’t have to use the “force MSC” trick.

I didn’t. But I will. Any ideas on the WMP 11?

Did it. And USB mode is in there. Switched it to Auto detect.  I just plugged it in and I get the ding dong sound but nothing shows up.

Now what?
Message Edited by segolilly on 04-11-2009 02:00 PM

Message Edited by segolilly on 04-11-2009 02:05 PM

MTP mode requires WMP (I think version 10 or above).  Can you set the Clip’s USB mode to MSC and connect in that?

Yea! Yes I can. That works for me. I’m not even going to bother with the other mode.

Thank you soooo much. I love my little clip. I was very disappointed to think that I wouldn’t be able to use it anymore.

That’s great to hear (that you could connect up)!  MTP mode only is needed with drm’ed files/subscription services.  If you don’t have that, just as easy and fine to stay in MSC mode (and it should work easily with other computers–it’s the more universal USB mode).