Are wav files supported?

I have tried dragging and dropping them and syncing them from WMP but they just don’t play. Yes, I have the latest firmware. When I drag and drop them they aren’t recognized when I look for them, when I sync them they show up but won’t play.

Message Edited by banddad on 08-27-2008 06:48 AM

Just sat on the phone with Sansa support for 1/2 and hour and apparently the bit rate is too high on my wav files. I guess this thing doesn’t support wav files. It’s getting returned…

Message Edited by banddad on 08-27-2008 07:54 AM

WAV is supported as they play fine on my Fuze.  What is the bit rate of your WAV files?

are your wav files drm protected?

Bit rate is 1411 according to WMP

I’m not sure, how do I tell if they are drm protectd?

Message Edited by banddad on 08-27-2008 10:59 AM

right click > properties > summery > advanced > then scroll down and look under origin and let us know what it says beside protected.

bite rate 1411

audio smaple size 16 bit

channels 2 (stereo)

audio sample rate 44khz

audio format PCM

That’s what it says, I hope that helps. I really would like this player to play these files.

Message Edited by banddad on 08-28-2008 11:27 AM

right above that you should have a section called origin and under that protected with a yes or no beside it. do your files have this?

The wav files don’t have that section, but I see it on the mp3’s. The mp3 of the same song says no. I made the MP3 of the wav in a program called Cool Edit Pro. The mp3’s work fine, but I would prefer the wav files.

Thanks!

Any update on this drlucky? Will regular wav files be supported in the next firmware? I can convert back to a lesser bit wav file, and it plays fine, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

it looks like the high bit rate it causing the issue. maybe sansafix can confirm if they are going to support such a high bit rate in the future.

Thanks for your responses. The main reason I bought this player is because all the literature says that it supports wav files, and yet it won’t play any of the wav files that play fine on my computer. It is a little misleading, and dissapointing.

@banddad wrote:
Thanks for your responses. The main reason I bought this player is because all the literature says that it supports wav files, and yet it won’t play any of the wav files that play fine on my computer. It is a little misleading, and dissapointing.

Just a suggestion.  If the main reason you want to use wavs is for lossless quality, you might want to consider converting them to FLAC.  Sandisk officially announced FLAC support for the Fuze a couple months ago and it’s expected in the next FW, which should be out within a couple weeks.

This would give you several benefits:

1. Your files would be about 65% the size of the original wavs, so you could fit a lot more files on the Fuze without sacrificing any quality
  2. You would be able to tag the FLAC files properly so the album/artist/song info will appear in the Fuze UI. Wav files don’t support tags, so the Fuze would show “Unknown” for the artist, album, genre, etc.
  3. With FLAC, once you’ve go the files tagged, you can transcode to other formats and still maintain all the tag info in the transcoded file.  Every time you transcode a wav, you’ll need to manually tag the transcoded file.  There are a multitude of tools that can convert from FLAC to MP3, Ogg, etc. and maintain the tag values in the converted file.
    Of course this assumes Sandisk actually delivers FLAC support in the next FW.  If it doesn’t come until a later FW, it could be many months away.

What program do you use to convert to FLAC?

Thanks!!

Check out: http://flac.sourceforge.net/

This is the offical FLAC project.  You can download an installer that includes all the command line tools for encoding, decoding, tagging, etc. as well as a small graphical front end.  Using the FLAC frontend, you can just drag files into it and hit Encode.

Also, there a lot of 3rd party tools that can do the job:  Winamp, dbPoweramp, etc.

If you are ripping your CDs to wavs, you might want to look into dbPoweramp or EAC which can do accurate ripping and convert to FLAC in one shot.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 08-29-2008 01:05 PM

Message Edited by Skinjob on 08-29-2008 04:20 PM