Are there any other MP4 options? (SMC won't work)

Trying to convert DVR-MS files for my daughters FUZE 8Gb.  Frustrating so far.  It gets to where it says it’s converting, but just stays at 0%.  Can’t I use the many programs that convert to MP4 and drag and drop them to my FUZE? 

try this instruction i found:

1.     Obtain and install a copy of Digital Media Converter (DMC) from DeskShare (http://www.deskshare.com/dmc.aspx). We will need this to convert the DVR-MS file format to mp3.

2.     Copy the recorded DVR-MS files into a working directory for processing – for example “c:\Scratch”. We will call this WorkingDir.

3.     Select all the DVR-MS files in WorkingDir and drag and drop them into DMC. Configure DMC to convert to MP3 and your desired bitrate (I use 128k because I like to preserve the Freeview radio quality). 4.     Start the conversion which may take an hour or so. After this you will now have basic useable mp3 files of your recordings.

On Fuze setting make sure the USB Mode is set on auto detect. So when your ready to dump your songs onto Fuze you can simply cut and paste onto fuze’s “Music” folder in main directory. That is how i personally put music into fuze. I also make sure that tags are correct for mp3 so fuze organizes songs correctly. You should organize songs by putting them on folders so you just don’t dump mp3 into the “Music” folder.

hope that helps…

if your interested in a program that does a great job of editing tags for mp3 google “Tag&Rename”

let me know how else i can help…

Message Edited by onesecplz on 12-25-2008 10:19 PM

@jrn wrote:
Trying to convert DVR-MS files for my daughters FUZE 8Gb.  Frustrating so far.  It gets to where it says it’s converting, but just stays at 0%.  Can’t I use the many programs that convert to MP4 and drag and drop them to my FUZE? 

SMC is slow, it takes me 5 hours to convert one movie.

The problem is with DVR-MS, which has all kinds of restrictions built in. Microsoft thinks you and particularly your daughter are potentially video pirates who want nothing more than to destroy the entire movie industry by showing their precious video on your Fuze. Depending on the source of the files, it may be impossible to copy them (at least legally).

DVR-MS

The DMC instructions in the post above (copied below) are for converting audio recordings. mp3 is an audio format. Video will need a different output–try converting to .mp4 or .avi, and then sending it through Sansa Media Converter. Also, Deskshare’s DMC is not a free program after its trial. There is a free converter: Media Coder. But DVR-MS is made to resist conversion, so you may just be unable to do it. 

And you still can’t drag and drop. You need Sansa Media Converter because the Sansa only plays video to its own specifications, which SMC knows. Rhapsody 4 (free) also works with the Sansa and will provide the right specifications, but I doubt it can convert DVR-MS. 

1.     Obtain and install a copy of Digital Media Converter (DMC) from DeskShare (http://www.deskshare.com/dmc.aspx). We will need this to convert the DVR-MS file format to mp3.

2.     Copy the recorded DVR-MS files into a working directory for processing – for example “c:\Scratch”. We will call this WorkingDir.

3.     Select all the DVR-MS files in WorkingDir and drag and drop them into DMC. Configure DMC to convert to MP3 and your desired bitrate (I use 128k because I like to preserve the Freeview radio quality). 4.     Start the conversion which may take an hour or so. After this you will now have basic useable mp3 files of your recordings.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 12-26-2008 08:09 AM