AppleCare warranties can be voided if used near cigarrette smoke

I am very antismoking, however this is crazy!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10402711-71.html

When I got my Mac they asked if I smoked and suggested that if I plan to take up the habit I should buy an extended warranty for smoke. I can speak to all Mac Models but on my MacBook, there are strategic vents with fans that are to cool and protect critical hardware, and when you smoke near them they “Inhale” the smoke, which can apparently gunk up the fans and cause a whole mess of snafus. That aside if you have a white Mac and you smoke around it, the color will change, like your teeth when you smoke.

The biggest single issue with Apple that irks me more than sand in my shorts after a day at the beach has got to be their blatant dumbing down of the whole computer, what shall I call it- experience.

I sit in absolute amazement of the OhIWishIWasAnOscarMeyerWeiner version of personal computing, otherwise known as AppleCare.  The caps-without-spaces method of name truncation, the name of which eludes me at the moment, is but the tip of the iceberg.

Don’t get me wrong here, I feel that the Apple is an excellent product, albeit a closed piece of the computing universe.

I just don’t seem to fit in with their version of the ideal customer.  For instance, I don’t like razor stubble, and I don’t tote my computer to Starbucks wearing a Save The Planet (Oh, sorry, should it be SaveThePlanet) green tee shirt, and a well worn pair of Birkenstocks.  I know which end of a soldering iron is the hot part, the difference between a DVD and a DVOM, and the pleasure of designing a circuit using a pencil instead of a simulator utility.

In short, AppleCare would not like me one bit.  Every time I hear of some new ominous evil that will invoke the ire of AppleCare, come minutiae that allows a company to run away from supporting those who paid considerably more for their machines in the feeble hope that the manufacturer will give them some semblance of reciprocal respect, I don’t know if I should continue enjoying my laughter, or shake my head in anger.

Look hard at this situation.  If some twink proclaims that mere particulates from tobacco smoke are all that is required to destroy that expensive Apple, we should think really hard at just what forces are at play here.  Do you really think it a good idea that we must cower in fear that AppleCare will leave us high and dry over absolute junk science?

In daily use, a computer ingests many cubic feet of air, be it by forced induction, or mere convection.  The flow of that air and the requisite environmental “contaminants” absolutely must be part of the engineering behind the design.  Or are they going to be bold enough to admit that aesthetics are the paramount consideration in their product, with the machine one breath away from a Chernobyl?

For some reason, well, several reasons actually- computers don’t have filters on their air intakes.  The idiocy of the draw-through power supplies used in most computers is that the filter, per se, is the air gap between the peripheral devices installed in the front of the machine.  The air is drawn in through the optical disk drive, over the hard drives, and many other vital components.  I must tip my hat to the folks at Hewlett-Packard, with some of the most innovative air flow control schemes for their desktops.  But then again, they did start by building equipment for the engineer, rather than the general public.

If Apple thinks they can sidestep support by conjuring up secondhand smoke as the kiss of death for their machines, I can suggest something else that they can kiss.  Hey, you’re paying a premium price for the right to be insulted like that, I guess.

There are things out there that absolutely eclipse the threat of smoke to your computer.  Have a look outside, and you might see them: those poofy white clouds out there are made of some scary things.  And be sure to allow your laptop several hours to equalize in temperature with the room before powering it up.  Place it on a soft static mat, and get rid of that carry pouch.  Better invest in a twenty pound Halliburton case for it, with a seismic data logger installed, so you can prove to AppleCare that you have done your absolute best to keep your machine from harm.  Who knows what’s next?

Bob  :angry:

Sounds like a poor excuse for a piss-poor design. They are probably just getting by on cooling with the minumum CFM required. Any blockage or slowdown of airflow and it overheats. Hope nobody uses them in an idustrial setting, or is that banned too? If you buy a MAC or an iPod you deserve it! The only Apple products I buy are on the EMI or Capitol label!!!

neutron_bob wrote:

<–Snip–>

I just don’t seem to fit in with their version of the ideal customer.  For instance, I don’t like razor stubble, and I don’t tote my computer to Starbucks wearing a Save The Planet (Oh, sorry, should it be SaveThePlanet) green tee shirt, and a well worn pair of Birkenstocks.  I know which end of a soldering iron is the hot part, the difference between a DVD and a DVOM, and the pleasure of designing a circuit using a pencil instead of a simulator utility.

In short, AppleCare would not like me one bit.  Every time I hear of some new ominous evil that will invoke the ire of AppleCare, come minutiae that allows a company to run away from supporting those who paid considerably more for their machines in the feeble hope that the manufacturer will give them some semblance of reciprocal respect, I don’t know if I should continue enjoying my laughter, or shake my head in anger.

Look hard at this situation.  If some twink proclaims that mere particulates from tobacco smoke are all that is required to destroy that expensive Apple, we should think really hard at just what forces are at play here.  Do you really think it a good idea that we must cower in fear that AppleCare will leave us high and dry over absolute junk science?

<–Snip–>

If Apple thinks they can sidestep support by conjuring up secondhand smoke as the kiss of death for their machines, I can suggest something else that they can kiss.  Hey, you’re paying a premium price for the right to be insulted like that, I guess.

<–Snip–> 

Bob Buddy you’re preaching to the choir, but unfortunately for me I work in industries where Mac is the standard (Graphic Design, and Radio [Adobe Creative Suite, Pro-Tools]), so I HAD to have one. Except for the first computer my family ever bought (I was 9 at the time) this is the first that I or any of my family has owned that I didnt build. Im the type that if something goes wrong would rather just fix it myself. So I too despise apple care, but it comes with the product and so I begrudgingly deal with it. 

What I relayed here about the smoke is simply what was told to me by an engineer at Apple. I personally keep mine away from smoke of all kinds (Not just cigarettes) because of the fact that I have seen how the smoke can discolor the case after prolonged exposure, and I like the way it looks when its white. 

14124all wrote:  

<–Snip–>

If you buy a MAC or an iPod you deserve it! The only Apple products I buy are on the EMI or Capitol label!!!

I do have to say my MacBook has been incredibly reliable and easy to use. And despite my hate for all things Apple I really like it. I wish the Itunes store was all I bought from them but I have to give them credit at Apple they make some cool accessories for their Laptops and stuff.

neutron_bob wrote:

If Apple thinks they can sidestep support by conjuring up secondhand smoke as the kiss of death for their machines, I can suggest something else that they can kiss.

SmileyROFLMAO.gif Smiley ROFLMAO image by prestonjjrtr

Well said, Bob!

Electronic items(especially optical drives) do malfunction more often in a smoky environment. That is not in dispute. Our society abhors discrimination though, even when there is statistical evidence of certain groups having greater risk.

Heavier people tend to break chairs and beds more often than lighter ones. Should chair and bed manufacturers have a clause in the warranty saying that if you weigh over 200(or perhaps 250?) pounds then your bed or chair is not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty? Would people like to have to return to the store of purchase to be weighed before they get their warranty honored?

Imagine all you can eat restaurants charging more for men than for women since men on average eat more than women. Imagine an all you can eat restaurant charging by the pound(your weight. Perhaps 20 cents a pound?) so a 100 pound person eats dinner for $20, but a 300 pound person pays $60(are you thinking that this is considered so ridiculous that someone might suggest it as a candid camera stunt?)

And how about Apple’s great moisture sensors? They are robbing people like crazy for “voiding” warranty with a tripped sensor. Hope you don’t live in a high-humidity area!

Apple’s engineers should spend more time making useable products and less time making detection devices to prove you used it wrong.

But it all does not matter. Apple’s legal staff can get away with anything. Look at the lawsuit from Apple Corps. LTD, the ruling was that Apple Computer does not associate with the music industry and thus not infringe on Apple Corps. apple logo. So what does Apple Computer do? Goes full force into the music industry, still using the Apple logo, in clear violation of the court ruling in the Apple Corps. case. To bad that Apple Corps. does not have the money to take Apple Computer back to court.

I’ll never buy any Apple Computer product because of their ignorance.

Complete and total BS.

Unless, maybe Windows computers are just better then Apple in this regard.

Well apparently. 

Case in point: I have a PC setup in my ‘man cave’ in the basement. Where the bar and the projector and pool table and poker table all live. I personally do not smoke but I allow it in the man cave. The PC that lives there and has lived there for 3 years? SPOTLESS. 

Now the PC in my spare bedroom? The one on the main floor where smoking is not allowed and where my dog (that sheds 24x7x365) and spends much of her time??? Needs cleaned out almost monthly.

What’s next Apple? Dog hair voiding your warranty?

Fail Apple. It amazes me how I used to be a fan and my level of respect for you just continues to drop…

Message Edited by Peregrine on 12-02-2009 10:12 AM

Man, I used to love Apple, but now… Even my teacher doesn’t understand how to use it. Everytime, since i’m the computer geek in my class I have to help her with this or that. Couldn’t Apple have designed an easier more understandable OS like Windows?