Apple Quietly Updates iPod shuffle - Kinda

This review makes me laugh. You gotta love this guy. :smileyvery-happy:

See it herehttp://www.sansacommunity.com/blog/entry/11304/Apple-Quietly-Updates-iPod-shuffle-Kinda/

Message Edited by Brandonc on 09-10-2008 06:49 PM

Message Edited by Brandonc on 09-10-2008 06:50 PM

Yep, I was distressed by the lack of innovation from an industry leader–just incremental improvements (added volume rocker, a new software feature, a larger hard drive (but elimination of an even larger hard drive model), a new styling, etc.).  They’re nice (and the price drop is great)–but they don’t fill needs.

Why hasn’t anyone come out with a total Wifi player, with good sound and high capacity (80 gb plus)?

Archos players have already…

always a step forward…             http://www.archos.com/

Ive always had their players…  and the new ones seems awsome… but they are taking the ipod-lik path to make more money…

(propietary conections to pc, no built in tv out, need accesories for features I have built in in my old player)

Anyway this is what youre looking for… full wifi players with capacities up to 250 Gb

I’m still not sure I really like the new Nanos. I definitely find the “shake to shuffle” feature incredibly absurd.

As for the iPod shuffle: who gives a **bleep**? Apple is essentially ignoring this market, and that’s fine with me. The Sansa clip is right now the perfect player to fit the Shuffle’s place. And for me, it even fits the Nano’s place.

If my Nano only holds 8GB or 16GB, I wouldn’t be able to fit 7% of my music on it, so I will always be forced to put new stuff on it periodically. In that case, why bother with the nano? Why not spend ridiculously less on a Sansa clip with great sound quality and more audio codecs? That’s what I chose to do.

I still love my 160GB iPod classic, but if the player is under 40GB, all that matters to me anymore is weight, sound quality, and price.

What I’m really waiting for is a >100GB iPod touch for <$300.

BTW: **bleep** you apple for using Chairlift in your nano commercial! Everytime I feel awesome about an unknown artist I’m digging, Apple goes and puts them in an iPod commercial, and they’re suddenly mainstream.

Message Edited by ExOmni on 09-11-2008 11:33 AM

Thanks for the info.  I’ve been eyeing the latest Archos offerings, for those very reasons.  The only question I keep on wondering is, how “portable” the units are for everyday use–I tend to go hiking with my current MP3 player, in addition to using it in the car, at home, at work, etc.  I prefer to keep and take my music all in one place, so as to be able to decide at the moment what I want to listen to, and to avoid constant transferring of music.  I would hate to be out and about with the Archos only to end up with a gorgeous, big but broken screen.

(Of course, if SanDisk offered a high capacity player, like a 128gb Clip, I would be considering that …   ;)   )

@buc wrote:

Ive always had their players…  and the new ones seems awsome… but they are taking the ipod-lik path to make more money…

(propietary conections to pc, no built in tv out, need accesories for features I have built in in my old player)

Anyway this is what youre looking for… full wifi players with capacities up to 250 Gb

Thanks for the info.  I’ve been eyeing the latest Archos offerings, for those very reasons.  The only question I keep on wondering is, how “portable” the units are for everyday use–I tend to go hiking with my current MP3 player, in addition to using it in the car, at home, at work, etc.  I prefer to keep and take my music all in one place, so as to be able to decide at the moment what I want to listen to, and to avoid constant transferring of music.  I would hate to be out and about with the Archos only to end up with a gorgeous, big but broken screen.

Of course, if SanDisk offered a high capacity player, like a 128gb Clip, I would be considering that …   :wink:

(ExOmni, you and I are loooking for the same player, why I found Apple’s recent product introduction disappointing.  A Touch with 100gb+ storage …  Although, “real” buttons for music playback are preferable over screen controls.)

Message Edited by Miikerman on 09-11-2008 11:46 AM

Actually, Touch more intrigues me, as I usually play my music through cover-flow. I even have a little USB dial I use to run Cover Flow on my computer jukebox.

I got a fake Shuffle from a so-called “business opportunity” presentation that is equipped with an astounding 128 megabytes.  When I connected it to my computer, it’s wonderful firmware was seen as a virus by AVG.  But, after I loaded an impressive thirty songs and disconnected it, I listened to it, and it sounded pretty incredible.  Not as good as my Clip, but very good, especially paired with good 'phones and, later on, my FiiO E3 amp.  Weird and surprising.

All the best,

Brad

@miikerman wrote:

@buc wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I’ve been eyeing the latest Archos offerings, for those very reasons.  The only question I keep on wondering is, how “portable” the units are for everyday use–I tend to go hiking with my current MP3 player, in addition to using it in the car, at home, at work, etc.  I prefer to keep and take my music all in one place, so as to be able to decide at the moment what I want to listen to, and to avoid constant transferring of music.  I would hate to be out and about with the Archos only to end up with a gorgeous, big but broken screen.

Of course, if SanDisk offered a high capacity player, like a 128gb Clip, I would be considering that …   :wink:

(ExOmni, you and I are loooking for the same player, why I found Apple’s recent product introduction disappointing.  A Touch with 100gb+ storage …  Although, “real” buttons for music playback are preferable over screen controls.)

Message Edited by Miikerman on 09-11-2008 11:46 AM

I have the AV500 (thin version: 30 GB) and Im able to fit in all of my jeans and I DONT wear baggy jeans… So without the case is very portable… but with the case it became more like a PDA.

I carry it in my Koala everyday… along with my clip… I mostly use the AV500 in the car… except when I go t parties or places to be light… I carry only my clip then…

A good pvp is great for waiting in lines, doc. appoiments, car, traveling… etc… I carry mine everywhere I go cause I have video out feature and if I go to a friends house I take some movies and we enjoy them there… Also for showing pictures, about trips an work… and all those stuff…

The NEW ones have a giagantic 4.8" screen (mine has a 4") and no buttons (I like having buttons)… BUT the thick versiom of the new line (up to 250 GB) is just about the size of my player… which is ideal. so the 60 GB is actually thinner… which is even better…

I DONT recommend them for jogging or excersicing… That was the main reason of why I bought the clip… Its perfect for running… and Ive even played basketball and tennis with it…

Message Edited by BUC on 09-11-2008 04:42 PM

Thanks for the user information–it’s very helpful and useful, and I’ll be doing more thinking about the Archos!  I’ve just gotten used to the earlier larger capacity hard drive players and their form factor, and taking them (and my music) everywhere (my iRiver hard drive player has had no skipping issue with hiking).