Anyone get corrupted mp3s from Amazon?

I’ve bought several mp3s from Amazon and noticed problems with them:

1)  They were 128 kbit, not the advertised 256 kbit.
2)  They play for their full length, but the display on the player indicates a longer time than it

actually is.
3)  The song is slower and the voices lower than the sample clip on line.
4)  And this is the worst:  There are gaps in the song.  It’s as if Amazon generates the mp3 on

the fly and never resends missing packets.  The end result is a music file with worse skips

than those old LPs we used to play.

Has anyone else experienced this from Amazon?  I’ve never had a problem like this with anyone else before.  Every place else you either get the file in it’s entirety or you get some kind of error message.

It really bothers me that there is no indication in the download that the file is corrupt and the players play it without indicating any problems.  Is there any software out there we can use to see if an mp3 is OK or corrupted?  I’d prefer something on Linux.

@puddleglum wrote:

I’ve bought several mp3s from Amazon and noticed problems with them:

1)  They were 128 kbit, not the advertised 256 kbit.
2)  They play for their full length, but the display on the player indicates a longer time than it

actually is.
3)  The song is slower and the voices lower than the sample clip on line.
4)  And this is the worst:  There are gaps in the song.  It’s as if Amazon generates the mp3 on

the fly and never resends missing packets.  The end result is a music file with worse skips

than those old LPs we used to play.

Has anyone else experienced this from Amazon?  I’ve never had a problem like this with anyone else before.  Every place else you either get the file in it’s entirety or you get some kind of error message.

It really bothers me that there is no indication in the download that the file is corrupt and the players play it without indicating any problems.  Is there any software out there we can use to see if an mp3 is OK or corrupted?  I’d prefer something on Linux.

Every one I’ve gotten there has worked flawlessly…either at 256 or 320 kbps.

Are these the Free ones? Sometimes they do this because of DRMs. I dont know nor do I think thats the cause but I could be a factor.

@conversionbox wrote:
Are these the Free ones? Sometimes they do this because of DRMs. I dont know nor do I think thats the cause but I could be a factor.

No, these were purchased mp3s.  The only thing they had in common is that they are German songs.  Foreign music may have different restrictions I guess.  I did buy a U2 song off of Amazon that sounds OK, but it is still 128 kbit.

Anyone know of any tools for checking the integrity of mp3s?  Like I said, the players and the clip play them just fine.  It’s only my ears that let me know something is wrong.

@puddleglum wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

No, these were purchased mp3s.  The only thing they had in common is that they are German songs.  Foreign music may have different restrictions I guess.  I did buy a U2 song off of Amazon that sounds OK, but it is still 128 kbit.

Anyone know of any tools for checking the integrity of mp3s?  Like I said, the players and the clip play them just fine.  It’s only my ears that let me know something is wrong.

One other possibility…if you sync your players, I discovered once that WMP11 had converted a bunch of 192 mp3’s to 128 wma’s…I had accidentally switched a setting in WMP. Now I almost exclusively drag and drop, so I don’t have to worry. I just wondered if there was any chance something like that had happened with your files, because my Amazon files have so far been good.

It must be those German songs need the Fraunhofer encoder/decoder! - LOL