Any way to rip DVD movies into my hard drive?

I don’t want to “pirate” any movies, but would like to rip DVD’s that I bought into my computer so I can put them on my iPod.

Are there ways to rip copy protected DVD’s with many chapters/episodes etc?

Which software allows me to do it? Is it legal?

AlawnAaron wrote:

I don’t want to “pirate” any movies, but would like to rip DVD’s that I bought into my computer so I can put them on my iPod.

Did you happen to notice this is not an iPod forum?

AlawnAaron wrote:

I believe this quote from the Forum Rules & Guidelines would apply here:

• Promoting or advertising illegal file download services may result in immediate ban.

So don't be surprised at the lack of responses.

I have red reviews of software called Fair Use Wizzard for making archival backup copies of DVD’s that you own.  It’s supposed to be very detailed and work quite seamlessly to make XVID or DIVX avi files.

Typically, the phrase “ripping DVDs to my hard drive” raises a red flag.  DVDs are typically encrypted, with the studios’ intent being to limit duplication of copyrighted media.  I’ve seen folks who are proud of their big collections of dubiously sourced movies, stored in large drives.  If you own the original copies, this is one case; otherwise piracy is theft, plain and simple.

On the other side of the coin, it is reasonable to wish to convert a video for personal use from your own purchased collection, for use on your portable device.  Essentially, what is different from watching it on your large family TV versus a smaller set in the den or bedroom…or on your portable Sansa?

The Sansa Media Converter can convert your video files to AVI format for use on the Sansa, but the DVD must first be processed using an application like Handbrake or others available on the internet.  If you have a Fuze or e200v2, these players both use AVI in a specific “container” format, which is done by the media converter utility.  For both of these, you can also use the Video4Fuze application submitted by a fellow Sansa user.  For the v1 e200 Sansa, the format is different, but the SMC application will do the trick.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I recommend you a DVD Ripper.

It could easily rip DVD to MP4, H.264, AVI, MP3, WMV, WMA, FLV, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, 3GP, 3GPP, VOB, DivX, Mov, RM, RMVB, M4A, AAC, WAV, etc. with super fast DVD ripping speed and excellent image and sound quality.

It also can edit the DVD movies, such as trim a video clip, crop the movie, merge several titles or chapters into one file and so on.

Details: http://www.aidownloading.com/aiseesoft-dvd-ripper.html
Step by step guide: http://www.aidownloading.com/guide-aiseesoft-dvd-ripper.html

Uh…we now return you to our regularly scheduled program.

I think that Spam sandwich had a little too much onion.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

neutron_bob wrote:

Uh…we now return you to our regularly scheduled program.

I think that Spam sandwich had a little too much onion.

At least they were on topic for the thread!

@marvin_martian wrote:

@alawnaaron wrote:

Did you happen to notice this is not an iPod forum?

The OP might think that anyMP3 player is an iPod…  like all tissues are called “Kleenex” by people and copy machines are called “Xerox” machines.  Of course the OP may be in the wrong place, just googled something and found this board…

To the OP:   anydvdconverter will work for lots of devices (the name of the product is the website).  Costs money, but updates are free and works great (does take time to convert, but as I said, it does work… I bought it before I found others on this forum that are free… have had it for 2 years no problems).  I just moved some tv shows from the DVD that I bought, to my Droid phone (larger screen then the Fuze).   Note that some DVD’s are too hard to copy over, or the makers did something to make it not copy over properly, for example, a movie I bought and converted to watch on my Netbook stopped 20 minutes in, tried playing twice and happened.  When I fast forwarded it played the remainder.  But give them a try.  They might work.  I now buy movies that have been out for a while on DVD and made cheaply. 

Message Edited by Dalaug234 on 07-13-2010 04:45 PM

Regardless of how one procures an avi video file (either Xvid or DivX), there can be various play issues.

VLC Media Player is shareware that has had a lot of development of the various codecs and plays virtually every avi file.

It’s a pretty fast download and installation.  Of course, this is only going to help you on a PC, netbook or laptop.

I dont’ think it’s available for any mobile platforms.

Another option, for portable DVD and video viewing,  instead of carrying around an expensive and heavy laptop, or a tiny smartphone, Coby has a very effective portable DVD player with 7" TFT screen that takes USB devices and SD cards, and is DivX certified.  It also plays standard Xvid avi files…and right off a USB stick or an SD card (also plays avi files that have been burned to DVD disc).  For under $100!  Not bad.  Mine has been operating for two years almost daily and I can say it’s a pretty darn good value.  Excellent for plane, car travel, vacations, sitting on the hammock in backyard, etc.  I have an older model and I see that they have a new one with similar features.

Yes, the Coby unit I have TF-DVD7377 will play mp3 off the SD card, USB, or off discs.  But these are just small stereo speakers and not really suitable for listening to music in any serious way.

Also, one of the downsides of this unit is that the interface with SD card or USB (or data on a disc)  is very primative.  You can navigate around but it does not display full file names and scrolling thru hundreds of mp3 tunes would be horrendous.  If you just wanted to set the thing to PLAY and not mess with it after that, it might be OK.

Hi !
I’ve just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

@nancyd589 wrote:

Hi !
I’ve just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Love those John Wayne movies!

Movies spelled with a Z?  Interesting.  I am curious about the “catch” on that one.  Especially when True Grit is still within the theatrical release cycle.  Caveat emptor.  Nothing is for free, yes?  I wouldn’t think it’s officially available for viewing online, at least in the strict legal sense.

Looking forward to watching that one, to see if it’s worthy of the Duke’s performance.  The trailers look great.

I think NetFlix allows you to save the movie for later viewing on personal devices.

But almost ANY Recording/Ripping of disks that dont explicitly give you permission to copy is illegal

Thanks Bob.  I have learn something useful from you 

I think ConvertxtoDVD does this. Just the reverse way. DVD to AVI…