Any way to calibrate sound level (setting safe for ears)

I have a Sansdisk Fuze I want to give my little one and would like to be able to set the volume so she can’t hurt her ears.  Any way to do this?

If you get a SPL meter (from places like RadioShack) that have a small mic, you can place the earbuds directly on the mic and get a very rough idea. A real calibration will require a dummy head and a set of professional tools. For a more easy solution, just set the level to the lowest you can accept, something slightly higher than conversation level is totally safe and acceptable.

@clieos wrote:
If you get a SPL meter (from places like RadioShack) that have a small mic, you can place the earbuds directly on the mic and get a very rough idea. A real calibration will require a dummy head and a set of professional tools. For a more easy solution, just set the level to the lowest you can accept, something slightly higher than conversation level is totally safe and acceptable. I 

I don’t think the question was how to simply recognize a safe level or set the volume control, but how to limit it so the kid can’t turn it up too high.

It really depends on how independant the child is.

1.  If she will only use the phones you supply, then you can buy less sensitive ones that aren’t too loud with the volume set all the way up.
  1. If she will only have music files you supply, then you can adjust the volume of them before they are loaded on the player, again so that a full volume setting on the player is safe.

Beyond that, you have to make a change to the player itself, either some attenuation in the earphone circuit (have to be good at soldering very small components), or a modification to the firmware (wait for Rockbox to be available and do a custom compile).   

Message Edited by donp on 02-15-2009 10:03 AM

The player has a built-in option to reduce the volume somewhat. In the Settings menu, you can set Volume to “Normal” or “High”.

Buy some headphones with an inline volume control. Set it so it’s loud but not too loud at maximum and superglue the control.

@eleellis wrote:
I have a Sansdisk Fuze I want to give my little one and would like to be able to set the volume so she can’t hurt her ears.  Any way to do this?

Most of the suggestions given so far depend on the little one not circumventing your intentions to save her ears.

You can use MP3Gain, a free program to limit the -db level to whatever you choose. This is normally used to ‘normalize’ or ‘equalize’ the loudness level on different trracks so you’re not having to constantly adjust the volume when playing back songs recordeed at different levels.

It’s default setting is -89db, but you can set your ‘target’ level to whatever you want for the little one. Once applied, this will insert the playback information (your settings) into the already existing ID3 tag of the music file and therefore will not actually change the file in any way. You can also reverse the process or change the levels if you want anytime in the future.

And I don’t care how smart your kid is, I doubt they’ll be able to get around this one. They can crank it all the way up if they want to, but if you have the music on the player limited to say -64db it ain’t gonna get any louder. :wink: