Any portable installation ideas for autos?

As some of you know, the wife and I just recently purchased 2 clips, where they are going to be used in a variety of portable applications, including in our autos.

As well as they work in our cars, the portable installation we are using is not all that elegant.  We both have VWs so space is at a premium, but I usually clip the clip onto the farthest right-side of my rear view mirror.  That works well enough, but the dangling cable to the head unit is rather dodgy looking…

Just wondering if there is a method or product out there that could clean up the installation a bit.  Since we use the clips in a variety of places, we are not really looking for a permanent or even sem-permanent installation.  I looked at some of the car mounts locally and they are so huge in relationship to the clip, I can’t see that as a very good option…

As you can see, I’m stumped at finding a better solution.  If anybody has a method that works, I would love to hear about it!!!

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

As some of you know, the wife and I just recently purchased 2 clips, where they are going to be used in a variety of portable applications, including in our autos.

As well as they work in our cars, the portable installation we are using is not all that elegant.  We both have VWs so space is at a premium, but I usually clip the clip onto the farthest right-side of my rear view mirror.  That works well enough, but the dangling cable to the head unit is rather dodgy looking…

Just wondering if there is a method or product out there that could clean up the installation a bit.  Since we use the clips in a variety of places, we are not really looking for a permanent or even sem-permanent installation.  I looked at some of the car mounts locally and they are so huge in relationship to the clip, I can’t see that as a very good option…

As you can see, I’m stumped at finding a better solution.  If anybody has a method that works, I would love to hear about it!!!

I would say that unless your rear-view mirror is very thin, I wouldn’t leave the Clip there.Do I assume correctly that you’re looking for somewhat of a fixed position so that you can operate the Clip on the go? And those dangling cables can attract the police, if you’re in an area where radar detectors are frowned upon.

Before she got Sirius radio, my sister used to set her huge(compared to the Clip) iPod down by the E-brake handle in her Civic…of course , she could only adjust it at red lights, so she usually left it on shuffle.I hooked my Clip up in her car on a couple trips we took, and just set it down in a cupholder…not the most elegant solution, but as the passenger, it was no big deal for me to grab it and operate it .

@marvin_martian wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I would say that unless your rear-view mirror is very thin, I wouldn’t leave the Clip there.Do I assume correctly that you’re looking for somewhat of a fixed position so that you can operate the Clip on the go? And those dangling cables can attract the police, if you’re in an area where radar detectors are frowned upon.

Before she got Sirius radio, my sister used to set her huge(compared to the Clip) iPod down by the E-brake handle in her Civic…of course , she could only adjust it at red lights, so she usually left it on shuffle.I hooked my Clip up in her car on a couple trips we took, and just set it down in a cupholder…not the most elegant solution, but as the passenger, it was no big deal for me to grab it and operate it .

Call us old fashioned, lazy or whatever; but being able to easily operate the unit while driving is not a main concern.  We are both album people.  Before we take off, we pick a favorite album, set the volume and we are off.  We just want it stationary, so it isn’t flying about in the cockpit as we are driving.  As soon as we get to our destination, we take the clip with us.

The only reason I picked the rear-view mirror location is that the head unit / shifting area is pretty tight and I didn’t want to place the clip in harm’s way when I do some of my power shifting!! :smileyvery-happy:

Once the weather breaks, I’ll have to investigate the interiors a bit closer.  I believe there is a toll coin compartment that is relatively close that I may be able to modify for the clip.

I know if we had other makes of vehicles the solution would be easier.  That german engineering is something.  Instead of regular cup holders that are in place in american/japanese vehicles, ours have this automatic device right above the head unit that pops out to contain 2 adjustable cup holders… which makes the driving area even tighter…

Thanks for your input…

GB

In my little VW, the ash tray is below the head unit (with a row of controls between) and so makes a great place to place an audio player, with a minimum of dangling cords.

You could place a cup, with recessed cap, in the cupholder and place the Clip there.  Or would the Clip clip to some part of the cupholder? 

You also could get a vent-mount device holder, using it not to hold your Clip but just to clip your Clip to.

I wonder if there is some crevice in your car that you could slip an L-shaped piece of plastic or metal into, and then affix your Clip to?  I know at least one device holder manufacturer who sells kits like that, with individualized instructions for various models of cars.  (I’d give you their name, but can’t recall it right now, unfortunately.)

Finally, given the lightweight nature of the Clip, would a velcro button on the back of your Clip, plus a companion Velcro button where convenient in your car, do the trick?  I usually wouldn’t think of this, but the Clip is so lightweight …

@miikerman wrote:

In my little VW, the ash tray is below the head unit (with a row of controls between) and so makes a great place to place an audio player, with a minimum of dangling cords.

You could place a cup, with recessed cap, in the cupholder and place the Clip there.  Or would the Clip clip to some part of the cupholder? 

You also could get a vent-mount device holder, using it not to hold your Clip but just to clip your Clip to.

I wonder if there is some crevice in your car that you could slip an L-shaped piece of plastic or metal into, and then affix your Clip to?  I know at least one device holder manufacturer who sells kits like that, with individualized instructions for various models of cars.  (I’d give you their name, but can’t recall it right now, unfortunately.)

Finally, given the lightweight nature of the Clip, would a velcro button on the back of your Clip, plus a companion Velcro button where convenient in your car, do the trick?  I usually wouldn’t think of this, but the Clip is so lightweight …

Lot’s of great ideas there.  I almost forgot about the cup holder mechanism.  It is mostly flat, so the clip would attach to that OK.  I guess there are more possibilities than I first thought!!

Hopefully, our weather will “break” soon and I’ll be more willing to fully investigate…

Thanks!!!

I actually clip mine to the part of the seatbelt that goes across the chest. That way I can easily navigate the player (at least skipping songs). Seems to work good in my Impala and my Pickup (Both are Chevys). 

That’s a clever idea I hadn’t even thought of (and that seems obvious)–thanks!

Ah, seat belt -good one! FWIW, I was out and about working in the garden today and had my player clipped to the bow on my sunglasses…radio waves aren’t harmful era yeth?  = ; )

For my vehicle, I think the cup holder mechanism or the coin holder is going to my best bet.  Glad CB was able to help some of you with the seatbelt idea.  It wouldn’t work in my application; actually tried it before starting this thread, and it didn’t work at all for me.  The connecting wire was just close enough to my gear shifter that I was worried that a major mishap would occur…but in the cup holder/coin holder locale, everthing should be fine…