Anticipated FiiO E5 Mini/Portable Audio Amplifier coming soon

For those whose interest was peaked earlier, the FiiO E5 mini/portable audio amplifier is coming.  The manufacturer is making shipments now to retailers, who will be sending shipments out yet this week (in the case of MP4nation.net).  It also is being sold by Dealextreme.com, although Dealextreme may start shipping later this month.  Pricing is in the US$21.50-24.50 range (shipped/no tax) and the item can be shipped world-wide. 

For those unaware of FiiO, FiiO earlier produced (and still sells) a well-regarded mini/portable amplifier, the E3, at an incredible US$8.00-8.50 or so price (again, that’s shipped!).  The amplifier increases the volume from a digital audio player like the Clip somewhat, but, more importantly, rounds out the sound.  All in a small form factor, about the size of 2 AAA batteries.  Just perfect for the Clip.  (There is a separate thread here on the E3.)

Since then, FiiO developed and is coming out with a successor unit, the E5.  Early reports are positive on it, finding its sound somewhat improved over the already well-regarded E3 and noting many of its other advantages:  a built-in rechargeable battery, built-in clip, on-off switch, bass boost option, and volume control.  Size-wize, the E5 makes a nice companion to the Clip.  All in another small and nice-looking form factor (similar to a current Apple Shuffle).

Information on the E5 and pics can be found at http://www.fiio.com.cn/en/showproduct.asp?id=309, and a video review at MP4nation.net (which also sells the E5) at http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_45&products_id=261.  Other reviews can be found at head-fi.org (in an 85+ page long thread!), http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/fiio-e5-amp-e3-upgraded-356177/.

More information should be forthcoming once people start receiving their amps.  In the meanwhile, the E5 is available for pre-order at the above retailers (and could arrive in time for December holidays).

edit:  In re-reading the above, it sounds like a press release.   ;)   No connection, here, to FiiO.  I just appreciate its attention to design, the benefits of its amps, and the low price-points.  All of which can be said about SanDisk and the Clip itself!

Message Edited by Miikerman on 12-01-2008 05:51 PM

Miikerman -

Thanks for posting this here on the Clip board. I posted a similar “news flash” on the Accessory, e200, & Fuze boards earlier today as I realize there’s a great deal of interest in it with the people who frequent here. I though about posting here too, but I was afraid someone would cry SPAMMER and I’d be out on my ear. :dizzy_face:

I only gave the link to DealExtreme though, as I’ve been watching there to see when the E5 would become available. You were much more thorough. Good job! :wink:

mikerman,

I’m 55 years old and new to MP3 players so please forgive my ignorance.

Just what does this headphone amp do and what are its applications? What it is good for?

For example, can I use it to connect my headphones to my old, but superlative JBL L112 speakers?

(For you younger folks out there, do a little research on the JBL L112 speakers. I bought mine in 1982 and they are still in perfect condition.

They weigh over 50 lbs each and to this day they are used by musicians in some of the best recording studios in the country. The sound is amazing. I have mine in an acoustical room I designed myself and you would think you were in a concert hall listening to them.

I mean if you close your eyes you can point to where the bass player is standing, where the horn man is and so on. Quite amazing.)

Message Edited by mickeyfinn on 12-01-2008 10:36 PM

This (or any) headphone amp plugs in-line between the music source (in this case your Sansa player) and your head-earphones. It amplifies the output signal before it reaches your ears.

While this model (E5) seems to be designed more for the higher-end & larger resistance over-ear headphones, it only has the 1/8" or 3.5 mm plug, so an adaptor would be needed for the larger headphone sets.

Sorry, it won’t boost anything to your JBL’s. (I’m an old Advent fan/owner myself) :wink:

This (or any) headphone amp plugs in-line between the music source (in this case your Sansa player) and your head/earphones. It amplifies the output signal before it reaches your ears.

While this model (E5) seems to be designed more for the higher-end & larger resistance over-ear headphones, it only has the 1/8" or 3.5 mm plug, so an adaptor would be needed for the larger headphone sets.

Sorry, it won’t boost anything to your JBL’s. (I’m an old Advent fan/owner myself) :wink:

Actually,  my Senheiser HD600s have a 3.5 mm plug inside the larger adapter so they should work with this.

Mickeyfinn, the value I find of amps like FiiO’s is:  a volume amplification (for those who want/need that); and, more importantly, an increased richness of the sound.  I use Shure in-ear headphones and the sound with FiiO’s E3 amp definitely is reacher and, at the same time, clearer–I would say it’s a 10-20% “improvement” in the already good sound from the Clip.  (The effect of the amp often is headphone-specific.)  The advantage with the E5 amp over the E3 model supposedly is a somewhat increased better sound, but also now with an on-off switch, volume control and built-in clip, as well as rechargeable battery and optional bass boost, making the E5 for me a remote control of-sorts for the sound from one’s Clip:  I can clip the E5 to my shirt and run it to the Clip in my shirt pocket, using the E5 to control the volume (and bass), making the E5 a non-clumsy addition.

I think a few of the reasons I especially like the FiiO amps, in addition to the above, is that this is done in such a well-designed and small form factor, much like the Clip itself (you likely will be shocked at that when you see the amps in person) and the small price factor.  I mean, US$8.50 or less, shipped, for the E3, when $8.50 can be the shipping cost alone for many under $100 products (and remember, the item is coming from Hong Kong).

I also have tried the E3 amp with my computer and desktop speakers, and likewise find that it improves the sound abit, I think (altho I find the greater improvement with my headphones), and also increases the volume.  For quality speakers like yours, I don’t know how much, if any, effect would be felt.

At any rate, for the low price (especially with the E3 model), a good mini-amp trial for those of us new to the amp scene, who do not want to spend $50-$150 for a portable amp.

@mickeyfinn wrote:

mikerman,

I’m 55 years old and new to MP3 players so please forgive my ignorance.

Just what does this headphone amp do and what are its applications? What it is good for?

For example, can I use it to connect my headphones to my old, but superlative JBL L112 speakers?

(For you younger folks out there, do a little research on the JBL L112 speakers. I bought mine in 1982 and they are still in perfect condition.

They weigh over 50 lbs each and to this day they are used by musicians in some of the best recording studios in the country. The sound is amazing. I have mine in an acoustical room I designed myself and you would think you were in a concert hall listening to them.

I mean if you close your eyes you can point to where the bass player is standing, where the horn man is and so on. Quite amazing.)

Message Edited by mickeyfinn on 12-01-2008 10:36 PM

Mickeyfinn, if you get a 3.5mm-to-RCA-jack patch cable, you can connect your Clip(or Fuze) right to the CD or LD inputs of your home receiver…make sure the EQ is at “normal” put your Clip volume about 90%, and you should be able to hear it from the speakers you love :smiley:

Tapeworm:  thanks, and for posting in the Accessories forum (and elsewhere), where this info. really belongs.  I posted here automatically, without thinking, as I came to SanDisk players via the Clip and tend to put everything here as a result, without thinking, I guess (also, this forum seems to be so active).

An update as to availability and pricing:  MP4nation.net may have a few (30 or so) of its initial 200 unit E5 shipment still available, which should arrive Thursday for shipment.  Apparently, MP4 Nation is getting the first units from FiiO.  MP4 Nation also will be trying to get further units, for shipment before the end of the month.  (I guess you could give a website printout for a December holiday gift?)  Dealextreme.com notes a release date of mid/late December and also is taking pre-orders.  Best bet:  if you want one yet this month, buy now.

For the frugal types out there:  the MP4 Nation E5 price is US$3 over the Dealextreme price (both with “free” shipping), but if you sign up for/in the MP4 Nation forums (free), there is a 15%-off coupon code in the forum coupons thread.

Message Edited by Miikerman on 12-02-2008 07:41 PM