Another term for "podcasts"?

DOPeCast… your official podcast for the Barry Bonds Trial. I would subscribe! I lie it but it really makes no sense.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 02-05-2009 11:46 PM

@conversionbox wrote:
DOPeCast… your official podcast for the Barry Bonds Trial. I would subscribe! I lie it but it really makes no sense.

In this case and in light of recent events, it seems you’re not the only one. Freudian slip perhaps? :smileyvery-happy:

To get back on-topic though, I forget (and I’m too lazy to go back through the 3 pages of posts to check), did somebody already suggest ‘netcast’?

@tapeworm wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

In this case and in light of recent events, it seems you’re not the only one. Freudian slip perhaps? :smileyvery-happy:

To get back on-topic though, I forget (and I’m too lazy to go back through the 3 pages of posts to check), did somebody already suggest ‘netcast’?

@marvin_martian wrote:

Netcast? Webcast?

Marvin -

Are you saying you already suggested these, or are you agreeing that either one would be an appropriate replacement for the dreaded * * * cast? See, I can’t even say it!

They both work for me. Rolls off the tongue just as easily and logically accurate. A ‘broadcast’ from or over the ‘net’ or ‘web’.

I vote WINNER! It’s a tie! :smiley:

@tapeworm wrote:

Marvin -

Are you saying you already suggested these, or are you agreeing that either one would be an appropriate replacement for the dreaded * * * cast? See, I can’t even say it!

They both work for me. Rolls off the tongue just as easily and logically accurate. A ‘broadcast’ from or over the ‘net’ or ‘web’.

I vote WINNER! It’s a tie! :smiley:

Page one of this thread, 5th post…that was where I suggested these. :wink: I like either one, but I think I prefer “Netcast” simply because I think of it as the" Internet" more than the World Wide “Web” . But really, either one would be an improvement over the stereotype :smiley:

Sorry . . . I figured as direct and to the point that these were, somebody probably already came up with them.

Sometimes I like to play ‘n00b’ and just ask instead of looking. :wink:

No flames, please. I DON’T do it very often. In fact, I think this was the first time.

I agree in your preference though . . . Nobody calls it the WEB anymore. I for one, never liked the whole WWW or WEB thing anyhow. It was too close to the WWF (World Wrestling Federation). I’m glad we don’t need that or the Http:// crapola in the browser’s address bar anymore.

Netcast . . . Netcast . . . yep, has a nice ring to it. Nice job, Marvin! I nominate Sir Martian’s suggestion of ’ Netcast'.

Any seconds?

This user on the Fuze boards asked "What is a Podcast?"So not everyone knows what they are… And if they don’t know what they are they can have a name change… We just need to start calling them something else. 

Unfortunately, I think the term " pod cast" is so firmly entrenched, it would take more than a grassroots campaign to replace it with something more generic. And as the last post points out, even many people who have no idea what they are have heard of them, so coining another name would just be confusing for the uninitiated.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 03-09-2009 12:33 PM

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 03-09-2009 12:34 PM

Thread bump for something I just happened upon…a definition of the term “podcast” on CNET.

"What is a podcast?

In a nutshell, podcasting is the publishing of media files–audio and video–so that they are available for download to anybody who subscribes to them via an RSS feed."

So if anyone asks, and you don’t feel like trying to explain it…there ya go.

AudioCast?

DigiCast?

I was thinking, maybe it’s not such a big deal (and I thought it might be fun to come up with other names).  The term “pod” is getting so overused now that the term iPod won’t mean much.  Kind of like Kleenex and Xerox.  Lots of people still say they “make xerox copies” or “xeroxes” meaning just copy machine copies.  Or they buy kleenex but mean any brand of tissue (and maybe even Kleenex).

We even have some people who come here to the forum wanting help with their Fuze ipod, or Sansa ipod so yeah, it’s become a generic term now.

After I wrote that I’ve noticed a lower case ‘i’ getting used a lot in other words or companies, first letter or with a space between or something…

@dalaug234 wrote:
After I wrote that I’ve noticed a lower case ‘i’ getting used a lot in other words or companies, first letter or with a space between or something…

indeed! :smileyvery-happy:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I haven’t seen an iFuze or an ie280 yet, but there’s still time…

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: 

So I noticed a filename as my “podcasts” loaded in on MediaMonkey, the other day. Keep in mind, it was a cast from MSNBC, but on my player the word “netcast” is part of the show title. Now I wonder, was it always there? Was my idea on Page 1 of this thread plagiarized? :dizzy_face:

I’ll vote for plariarized. :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by Dalaug234 on 11-09-2009 01:40 PM