And, happy 6-month anniversary since the last Clip firmware upgrade ...

:wink:

Great! Then I guess my Clips are up-to-date if I updated them 2 months ago!  It’s very convenient not having to update them regularly. 

OK - read with a smidgen of sarcasm, but luckily my Clips are both working fine.  I’ve grown accustomed to the quirks. 

Most obvious inexplicable quirk to me: MSC vs. MTP loaded files not visible in the alternate mode.  Now why exactly is it programmed to do that?  Perhaps I could see “hiding” any MTP-loaded files that have rights issues when in MSC mode so they can’t be manipulated in any way, but in MTP mode why shouldn’t all files, protected and not, be visible?  Any ideas on the logic behind that?  I’m probably putting too much thought into it and it’s really just an annoying bug.

@kmk_01kmk wrote:

Great! Then I guess my Clips are up-to-date if I updated them 2 months ago!  It’s very convenient not having to update them regularly. 

 

OK - read with a smidgen of sarcasm, but luckily my Clips are both working fine.  I’ve grown accustomed to the quirks. 

 

Most obvious inexplicable quirk to me: MSC vs. MTP loaded files not visible in the alternate mode.  Now why exactly is it programmed to do that?  Perhaps I could see “hiding” any MTP-loaded files that have rights issues when in MSC mode so they can’t be manipulated in any way, but in MTP mode why shouldn’t all files, protected and not, be visible?  Any ideas on the logic behind that?  I’m probably putting too much thought into it and it’s really just an annoying bug.

It’s just annoying. But you can avoid it by choosing one mode and sticking with it.

@kmk_01kmk wrote:

 

Most obvious inexplicable quirk to me: MSC vs. MTP loaded files not visible in the alternate mode.  Now why exactly is it programmed to do that?  Perhaps I could see “hiding” any MTP-loaded files that have rights issues when in MSC mode so they can’t be manipulated in any way, but in MTP mode why shouldn’t all files, protected and not, be visible?  Any ideas on the logic behind that?  I’m probably putting too much thought into it and it’s really just an annoying bug.

You would have to ask Microsoft. MTP (along with all of its oddities/annoyances) is their baby.

@gwk1967 wrote:


@kmk_01kmk wrote:

 

Most obvious inexplicable quirk to me: MSC vs. MTP loaded files not visible in the alternate mode.  Now why exactly is it programmed to do that?  Perhaps I could see “hiding” any MTP-loaded files that have rights issues when in MSC mode so they can’t be manipulated in any way, but in MTP mode why shouldn’t all files, protected and not, be visible?  Any ideas on the logic behind that?  I’m probably putting too much thought into it and it’s really just an annoying bug.


You would have to ask Microsoft. MTP (along with all of its oddities/annoyances) is their baby.

That’s why I don’t use it.  It’s only MSC for me.  :wink:

@puddleglum wrote:


@gwk1967 wrote:


@kmk_01kmk wrote:

 

Most obvious inexplicable quirk to me: MSC vs. MTP loaded files not visible in the alternate mode.  Now why exactly is it programmed to do that?  Perhaps I could see “hiding” any MTP-loaded files that have rights issues when in MSC mode so they can’t be manipulated in any way, but in MTP mode why shouldn’t all files, protected and not, be visible?  Any ideas on the logic behind that?  I’m probably putting too much thought into it and it’s really just an annoying bug.


You would have to ask Microsoft. MTP (along with all of its oddities/annoyances) is their baby.


That’s why I don’t use it.  It’s only MSC for me.  :wink:

x2 MTP sucks harder than any Hoover or Dyson vacuum ever thought of!:stuck_out_tongue:

MTP isn’t automatically bad.  I have a unit that uses it exclusively and have had not 1 problem.

Come to think about it, my older players used MTP too, and never had any issue there either…

And now, back to the originally programmed show …

I want a firmware upgrade!  I want a firmware upgrade!  File/folder view!  Pitch fix!  Plus a couple of other things I can’t recall right now (it’s been that long)!

:wink:

@miikerman wrote:

And now, back to the originally programmed show …

 

I want a firmware upgrade!  I want a firmware upgrade!  File/folder view!  Pitch fix!  Plus a couple of other things I can’t recall right now (it’s been that long)!

 

:wink:

Relax…

You will probably be dead before you get a clip firmware update.  Enjoy it for what it is or move on…

I think you need it for protected music.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Relax…

 

You will probably be dead before you get a clip firmware update.  Enjoy it for what it is or move on…

Nah, I don’t think it’ll be that long …

:wink:

@miikerman wrote:


@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Relax…

 

You will probably be dead before you get a clip firmware update.  Enjoy it for what it is or move on…


Nah, I don’t think it’ll be that long …

 

:wink:

Judging from what I’ve seen the last few months, I predict that there will never be another clip update…

Did you miss this post from a few weeks ago?

@gwk1967 wrote:
Did you miss this post from a few weeks ago?

I did not miss that post.  My opinion stands.

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 08-19-2009 09:42 PM

I just have to be optimistic about these things and nowadays.   :)   And with a holiday season coming up, the small investment to get an attractive and helpful firmware upgrade out only could further assist a company such as SanDisk, it seems to me, especially with a “more mature” product and keeping it young (the Clip will be 2 years old soon).

@miikerman wrote:
I just have to be optimistic about these things and nowadays.   :)   And with a holiday season coming up, the small investment to get an attractive and helpful firmware upgrade out only could further assist a company such as SanDisk, it seems to me, especially with a “more mature” product and keeping it young (the Clip will be 2 years old soon).

Squeeky Wheel gets the oil :)      Pitch issue #1 bug fix, if they can fix it on the fuze they can fix it for the Clip.  Clips audio reproduction is so good this is kinda embarrassing for a digital player.  Support for ID3 2.4,  (Screw folder view :stuck_out_tongue: heh  :)   Just joking…    I’m not really wanting much else…   how about a slimmed down version of the firmware without all the languages, If that would save space on the firmware size.  For english speaking people, I’m not racist,   just wondered how much that adds to the firmware size.

I’m as optimistic as the next guy, but I’m starting to lean more towards fuze’s sentiment.  I’ve had my Clip since the middle of Feburary and since Day 1 it’s had this stupid pitch problem.  I should have returned it right then and there, but I decided to give Sandisk the benefit of the doubt (never had a Sandisk product prior to this Clip).  I figured a problem so obvious such as this would be patched relatively quickly since it affects the main purpose of the product, which is to reproduce music and reproduce it accurately.  And I remember it was said that the fix was being worked on at that time.

Fast forward 6 months, and still nothing?  Sorry, but that’s unacceptable.   And it’s really a **bleep** shame because if this pitch problem didn’t exist, I’d be happy as a clam with the Clip.  I’m going to give it another few weeks or so, and then I’m going to look at other players, because re-encoding everything to 48kHz is becoming a huge PITA (not to mention it affects the quality of the music as is expected going from 44.1 to 48kHz.)  I think 6 months is more than a generous time period to get at the bare minimum this ONE common problem fixed.

Edit - Couldn’t have said it better than niko did above.  The problem was addressed on the Fuse and it’s flat out embarassing for a digital audio player in 2009 to have problems with playback.

Message Edited by Warrior1986 on 08-19-2009 10:35 PM

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

MTP isn’t automatically bad.  I have a unit that uses it exclusively and have had not 1 problem.

 

 

Come to think about it, my older players used MTP too, and never had any issue there either…

I guess, in all fairness, I should mention that a Microsoft employee over in the other forum I frequent has stated that most of the problems people experience with MTP are due more to different software implementations not working with the MTP standard properly, than to the standard itself. I’m guessing your experiences with your new player, plus mine with my one MTP-only player, serve as an example of this.

That said, I do believe there are more chances for problems to pop up with it than there are with MSC, as far as the overall picture is concerned.:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:


@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

MTP isn’t automatically bad.  I have a unit that uses it exclusively and have had not 1 problem.

 

 

Come to think about it, my older players used MTP too, and never had any issue there either…


I guess, in all fairness, I should mention that a Microsoft employee over in the other forum I frequent has stated that most of the problems people experience with MTP are due more to different software implementations not working with the MTP standard properly, than to the standard itself. I’m guessing your experiences with your new player, plus mine with my one MTP-only player, serve as an example of this.

 

That said, I do believe there are more chances for problems to pop up with it than there are with MSC, as far as the overall picture is concerned.:wink:

Yeah, you can’t much more simplistic than MSC. 

Boy, I would like to be surprised by seeing a revised firmware finally coming out.  And by seeing a DAP manufacturer, other than 1 particular one, continuing to support its users with revised firmware and improvements and not abandoning the purchaser post-purchase … 

(Have any of the other manfs. come to realize that continuing consumer support and product firmware/software improvements is a small investment for increased sales and consumer loyalty, as has been the case with the 1 particular manf.?)