Allow firmware updates for the Clip+ and Fuze using card memory

Could this ability be added via firmware update, or must there be something in the hardware to allow this?

It would be nice if the Fuze and Clip+ could  get a firmware upgrade this way. Sometimes a player might not be able to connect to a pc, and being able to reload the firmware without connecting might solve some problems. I hope all future Sandisk players with a card slot allow this.  

No comments?

I have never had an instance of one of my Sansas not being able to connect to my PC…perhaps because I only use them in MSC mode…so this is a non-issue for me.

I have not had this problem either, but others have not been able to connect. If firmware is updatable via card or usb connection, then some players that can’t connect might be fixable.

JK98 wrote:
I have not had this problem either, but others have not been able to connect. If firmware is updatable via card or usb connection, then some players that can’t connect might be fixable.

Except there’s very few instances (if any) where a firmware update is going to solve a connection issue. If a player does not connect with an older version of firmware, there’s nothing in any update that going to change that.

Sometimes the firmware in a player can become corrupted. if the corruption affects code that lets the player connect, then it would be possible that the player could be fixed by a firmware update via card memory. Even if there is a hardware problem preventing the player from connecting, it might be beneficial to update the firmware in the player for other reasons.