Album names have 8-character prefixes

When I add an album to a Clip+ through Windows Explorer under AutoDetect (MTP), the system adds a prefix such as

F20B0000_

followed by the original folder name.  (This does not happen under MSC, but I don’t want to use it because Windows Explorer won’t display the Clip+'s battery status.)

1.  Why does this prefix get added?  What does it represent?  and why doesn’t it always appear?

2.  How can I avoid having such prefixes?

As I understand it, this is a glitch from MTP mode.  And the only way to consistently avoid it is to use MSC mode. 

Candidly, I don’t really see that as a sacrifice, as you always can check the battery level on your Clip itself, on the display and under the System information setting for more precise information. 

@dmcg wrote:

When I add an album to a Clip+ through Windows Explorer under AutoDetect (MTP), the system adds a prefix such as

F20B0000_

followed by the original folder name.  (This does not happen under MSC, but I don’t want to use it because Windows Explorer won’t display the Clip+'s battery status.)

1.  Why does this prefix get added?  What does it represent?  and why doesn’t it always appear?

2.  How can I avoid having such prefixes?

Here is an explanation from of the Gurus. :wink:

Check this post from one of the gurus here.