Advantages of internal vs SDHC memory

Hi,

After much research, I’ve decided to buy a Fuze.  I was going to buy the 8gb and get a 16gb card, but for only slightly more, I can get the 4gb and a 32gb card, which will give me 36gb total as opposed to 24gb.

My question: is there any advantage to having more internal memory, or disadvantage to having more SDHC?  For what it’s worth, I’ll be doing a lot of voice recording, in addition to listening to music.  The SDHC cards I’d get would be A-data, and I believe they are class 6, though I’m not certain.

Thanks for your help! 

Yes, I think in generally it is logical to assume that on-board flash memory is going to be faster and more trouble-free than external cards.

Also, the 16 gb cards barely came out- and 32 is not going to be out until next year.  And they WILL BE EXPENSIVE!  The additional 4 gb on the device is worth paying slightly more for.  And then stick to 8 gig cards.  That’s still a BOAT-load of files!

And then there’s this issue of Fuze organization and a (roughly) 4000 song limit.  You will exceed that with a 32 card for sure.

So up to you- those are just my opinions.

I just got an 8 gig silver, and will be getting a couple of 8 gig cards eventually.  They are pretty cheap now- around $20-25.  That’s 16 gigs total!  Which is really an enormous amount of music and data.

BTW- I like Voice Recording too.  It would be cool if the firmware allowed assigning the voice recording files to the SD card for easy offloading.  But that’s a fine point.

They ARE working on cracking the firmware over at Rockbox.  I’ll bet that next year see’s the first Rockbox build for Fuze.  Then the possiblilites may really open up.

Message Edited by blackdog-sansa on 10-23-2008 10:16 AM

You can always buy bigger memory cards but you can’t upgrade the internal memory.  I’d still go for the biggest internal.   Also, there have been issues lately with stuff on external cards.  Lastly, external memory is cheap and getting cheaper.

“External memory is cheap and getting cheaper”

Yes, for the “older” versions. 

The most current, largest sizes to hit the market are going to be the most expensive memory per gig.  2 gig cards are now as low as 5 bucks.  Imagine that?

What if 5 or 10 years ago someone showed you a micro sd card and told you that this little things held 2 GIGS?!  Amazing.

You have to think too, that as the 32gb cards hit the market, that there will be some read-write issues…or at least a strong potential.  It’s almost unbelievable that you could get 32 GIGS into a chip that small!  How the heck are they doing this and keeping the data stable?

Thanks for the reply.  You’re right about 32gb cards - I was confusing SDHC with CF, which are out in that capacity.

By the way,  how satisfied are you with the voice recording quality?

Actually it appears that SDHC 32GB cards are available now - New Egg has them for around $130.  But I’ll still take the advice here and go for more internal memory

@jhx wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  You’re right about 32gb cards - I was confusing SDHC with CF, which are out in that capacity.

By the way,  how satisfied are you with the voice recording quality?

Actually there are 32GB SDHC cards out now. The problem is they are the standard SD ‘size’, not’Micro’ size.

Also - don’t DRMed files (e.g. music on subscription services) have to use the internal flash? I recall audiobook bookmarks not working when the file was on SDHC flash.

As far as speed goes, unless you get class 2 flash, the external may be faster than the internal flash (it is on mine).

jhx

Re: voice recording quality, I have not tried it yet.  I used that a good bit on my e260v1, but I have only had the Fuze for two days so have not put it to the test yet.

It’s not going to be great I know that.  I hope it is at least as good as the e200 however.

"What if 5 or 10 years ago someone showed you a micro sd card and told you that this little things held 2 GIGS?! "

I remember 8 years ago 64 meg compact flash cards sold for $200 and up. 64 meg was considered a large size flash memory card. $200 for 64 meg was around $3 a meg. Now SDHC cards are around $3 a gig! All in just 8 years! Will flash memory cards cost around $3 per terabyte(1,000 gigabytes) 8 years from now?

Message Edited by JK98 on 10-23-2008 08:51 PM

If you are using less than 256 kbps then it is easy to exceed the roughly 4,000 file limit the Fuze can access with its current firmware. The next firmware update will raise this limit, however it might not be out for at least a month or two. In the meantime, I expect 16 gig micro SDHC cards to drop in price.

The voice recording on the Fuze is quite good if the player is within 3 or 4 feet or so of the speaker(ie on his podium or desk). The voice recording has been improved with the last firmware release. The player records in WAV to the main memory, and gets around 6 hours per gig of storage for voice recording. If you plan to do plenty of voice recording, then a player with 8 gigs built in memory might be a good idea. Walmart sells the 8 gig Fuze for $87.54.