A Question on Rhapsody & iTunes

Just received a Sansa Fuze (8GB) for Christmas. Looks great. I checked on both SanDisk & Sansa’s web sites for accessing iTunes and could not find any mention of downloading music/videos from the Apple iTunes site. Has anyone had any success in accessing and downloading to their Fuze from iTunes?

Also, Rhapsody mentions that it has a 14-day free trial and the Fuze “came with” a 30-day free trial for Rhapsody. Are these two times concurrent or separate?

Which is better? Rhapsody or iTunes?

Thanks for your help.

You can not use iTune on Sansa.

Apple uses its proprietary music format, which can not be read by other mp3 players.

@cjrogan wrote:
Just received a Sansa Fuze (8GB) for Christmas. Looks great. I checked on both SanDisk & Sansa’s web sites for accessing iTunes and could not find any mention of downloading music/videos from the Apple iTunes site. Has anyone had any success in accessing and downloading to their Fuze from iTunes?

Also, Rhapsody mentions that it has a 14-day free trial and the Fuze “came with” a 30-day free trial for Rhapsody. Are these two times concurrent or separate?

Which is better? Rhapsody or iTunes?

Thanks for your help.

At the same price per download, Rhapsody is better for anything but the iPod.  iTunes packages the music in the AAC format, or MPEG-4 Part 3.  The Fuze will decode MP3, WMA (Windows Media), secure WMA, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, and Audible aa formats currently.

The Sansa Fuze has a secret weapon, in that it supports Rhapsody PFS natively.  If authorized in the Rhapsody client, the Sansa will support Rhapsody Channels, providing many hours of automatically transferred music in the genres of your choice.  Any songes that you like can be added to your device library with a single click of the scroll wheel, or the song can be tagged for purchase as an MP3 or WMA file.

Rhapsody is going over to the DRM-free MP3 format for purchased music, meaning that purchased tracks are free of DRM hassles.  They’re yours, free of constraints, download limits, burn limits, unlike iTunes.

You can use iTunes with the Sansa if you convert the files to MP3 format first.

I prefer the Rhapsody To Go service, which offers unlimited access to the entire Real / Rhapsody library, to load any music desired.  To find new music, download the entire track, instead of listening to a short sample.  If you wish a permanent copy, it’s simple.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you for providing this post - I had the same question. I’m still confused on the difference between Rhapsody membership and simply downloading. It appears that with the $14.99 option you can download to your MP3 - the other you can’t - hmmm. Are you using the service or simply downloading?

Thanks!

I use the To Go service, and the Rhapsody Channels is arguably one of the best features of a subscription.  They do not clutter your searchable music database on the Sansa; if you find an interesting track, you can add it to the device library.

I think of it as “cable TV for my Sansa”.  A subscription gives full access to the complete library, and if I want a personal copy (as a 256kpbs MP3, no DRM), that is one button press away.

And with three daughters, ready music access is a wonderful thing.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Rhapsody and iTunes are really two different kinds of software.

iTunes is an interface for buying songs. You pay your $0.99 or $9.99 and the song or album is delivered to your computer. It’s usually in Apple’s own format, AAC or .m4a, playable on iPods, but you can also buy songs in the more universal .mp3 format if you change settings. And you can convert .m4a to .mp3, but with a loss of sound quality. 

Rhapsody is a subscription: any music in their gigantic (but still incomplete) catalog will play on your computer in their player, and with the To Go add-on, you can transfer it to the Sansa (but you haven’t really bought it–there are digital rights limitations, you can’t copy the songs off the Sansa to something else, etc.). You can also buy songs as with iTunes. 

http://reviews.cnet.com/online-software-services/rhapsody-3-0/4505-9239_7-20050753.html

I suggest you use the trial and see how you like it.  Whether you can get away with the Sansa trial plus the Rhapsody trial…well, you could always try giving it different email addresses to log in. If I remember, the trial also asks for a credit card and turns into a (paid) subscription if you don’t end it, so make sure you know what your plans are when the trial period ends. 

I had a couple protected file songs on itunes and could not put them on my sansa, but today I was able to burn them to a CD and then Windows Media Player was able to sync the songs from the CD. What a headache.  I bought the sansa for my two boys (ages 7 and 9) and I don’t think it will be worth the $14.99 a month Rhapsody subscription. I might just stick with itunes and look for songs with the correct files.

If you buy songs from the Amazon MP3 store, you won’t have to go through that conversion every time. It’ll get added to iTunes, and will be in a format that any MP3 player will recognize. As long as you buy from iTunes, you’ll have to go through that same conversion mess. Another option is mp3.rhapsody.com, but it won’t get automatically added to iTunes.

Message Edited by bdb on 12-26-2008 10:09 PM