A free music site

All right, right now i use limeware and beemp3, but i want more sites so anyone have offers? I want free sites with music, vids, audiobooks, etc . No subscription, free trial, etc.

So you’re asking for recommendations to illegal file-stealing sites? C’mon, the artists that create & perform the music you enjoy so much deserve to get paid for what they do, don’t they? Do YOU work for free? :angry:

Tape, as a musician I appreciate your standing up against the traditional limewire usage. However I support limewire and its comtemporarys. In my case before being signed to a label I used WinMX and Limewire to distribute my music and develope fans. That being said Roadrunner Records has many free downloads of their artists (go to the artist page and its on the right). Also http://www.frostclick.com/wp/ has tons of free legal stuff to download. Check Things like Ilike.com feature downloads from up and commers in the industry. The best thing I can tell ya is if you hear something you like check the bands site first often they will have a free track for you.

Certainly you have to do whatever it takes when you’re breaking into the biz and trying to develop a fan base or a demand for your ‘product and/or service’. But there’s a lot of commercial, well-known & popular musicians who are in essence, getting ripped off and not receiving royalties on sales.

This isn’t really a new problem though, it’s just expanded exponentially with the rise in the internet connectivity. A long time ago, you could get a reel-to-reel tape recorder, then a cassette tape recorder, even an 8-track recorder, then CD burners to duplicate a licensed, legitimate purchased copy of a vinyl record or other CD. Many people have copied a friend’s CD to save them the money from buying one.

That’s small potatoes though when it comes to some of these file-sharing sites and their global user participation. The advent of the .mp3 format is a double-edged sword. Sure it’s convenient for portable players and with smaller digital file size offers unlimited potential for use, but it also makes it much easier to distribute over intenet connections. This is the reason for DRM-encrpting with Rhapsody & Napster, for example. To try and get some sort of handle on the problem. And of course, it isn’t just limited to music; but movies, software and the like.

Certainly you have to do whatever it takes when you’re breaking into the biz and trying to develop a fan base or a demand for your ‘product and/or service’. But there’s a lot of commercial, well-known & popular musicians who are in essence, getting ripped off and not receiving royalties on sales.

This isn’t really a new problem though, it’s just expanded exponentially with the rise in the internet connectivity. A long time ago, you could get a reel-to-reel tape recorder, then a cassette tape recorder, even an 8-track recorder, then CD burners to duplicate a licensed, legitimate purchased copy of a vinyl record or other CD. Many people have copied a friend’s CD to save them the money from buying one.

That’s small potatoes though when it comes to some of these file-sharing sites and their global user participation. The advent of the .mp3 format is a double-edged sword. Sure it’s convenient for portable players and with smaller digital file size offers unlimited potential for use, but it also makes it much easier to distribute over internet connections. This is the reason for DRM-encrpting with Rhapsody & Napster, for example. To try and get some sort of handle on the problem. And of course, it isn’t just limited to music; but movies, software and the like.

Im not saying they dont. I do not like that part but when Limewire is “Used Responsibly” its great.

The best free music site is google! Learn how to use it, and you can find just about anything.

A couple of recommendations:

1. Learn what labels are part of the RIAA, and avoid their music. It could save you a lawsuit, particularly if you use P2P programs like Limewire.

2. If you like it, buy it. But even if you buy it, the RIAA will still sue you if they catch you using P2P to try it (see #1). If you avoid major labels, it will cost a lot less (e.g. emusic.com).

Don’t download music unless you know the artist doesn’t mind.

Also, everyone probably has their own definition of “Used Responibly” when used with sites like Limewire (I use Frostwire myself, which connects to Limewire’s server, but doesn’t have all  the extra bloat the usually comes with Java software). My definition is that if you actually own the music, but your CD or (for those of us old enough to remember them) cassette tape is ruined, then go ahead and use it to download the music you already own. I don’t see anything illegal about that. I have a bunch of CDs, and I tend to be a little careless, so I have a bunch of ruined CDs that I own. Or, if you buy a song from a company not knowing that they DRM your file, go ahead and use Limewire to get a non-DRMed version of it. But don’t go around downloading free music that you didn’t actually pay for.

If you really want to listen to music for free (you won’t be able to download it to your Fuze without paying for it first, though), go to Magnatunes. They don’t work with major artists, but they do have some good music. And you could pay $1 for the music if you wanted to. But please be fare in giving the artists a fair share of money. 

I can’tafford mosot of the songs i have… henc why i dl them… If a album is really good i’ll buy it then toss it somewhere in my room.

I use the Amazon MP3 download store. They’re prices range from $.79 to $.99. Just search it on google! Best of all, no DRM!

@pikidalto wrote:

Also, everyone probably has their own definition of “Used Responibly” when used with sites like Limewire (I use Frostwire myself, which connects to Limewire’s server, but doesn’t have all  the extra bloat the usually comes with Java software). My definition is that if you actually own the music, but your CD or (for those of us old enough to remember them) cassette tape is ruined, then go ahead and use it to download the music you already own. I don’t see anything illegal about that.

When you download with P2P, you’re sharing that same content with the world. That’s the part that is illegal in most countries.

If legality is what you’re going for, then I’d recommend checking here. There are several sites, most of which offers some songs (one or two) from some albums. The list has been around awhile, so some may not exist anymore.

You won’t find much mainstream (RIAA) music on those sites. Those labels are pretty strict that if you’re going to listen to it, you must pay. Free mainstream music generally means illegal. As I mentioned earlier, if you’re dealing with the RIAA, its smart to be concerned about legality. They’re the ones that sue people. You can always find the list of RIAA labels here, or just google for “riaa members”. With these labels, it doesn’t matter what you consider as “responsible”. Their definition of “responsible” is: you pay for everything.

Independent labels are far less strict because they’re really benefitting from this environment. Their problem is getting their music heard, and downloading is a vehicle for that. Most indie labels are aware of this, and I’ve never heard of anyone being sued for downloading. Fans of this music are probably more likely to buy than casual listeners who just listen to whatever’s on the radio this week, anyway. I’ve spent a lot of money of music that I would have never heard if I hadn’t downloaded it!

Message Edited by bdb on 12-10-2008 04:33 PM

I am personally against file sharing, but I figure since it is a reality in our world - finding a compromise would be helpful. Why wouldn’t srtists support FM quality downloads - say 128 bit MP3’s or lower quality .wma? Sharing anything over 128 bits, Flac and Ogg would be illeagle. Or how about self-sestructing files that allowed the downloader 3 plays, then they would have to be purchased.

I am a software author and I feel that whenever someone downloads my software illeagally they are stealing a piece of my soul. But then I did a study, 70% of my legal paid for licenses were at one point downloaded and used illeagally.

So while I am against the practice, I understand that in the right circumstance it can actually help.

That in mind - try ISO Hunt. 

Being a hardcore Linux user, I am against proprietary licenses (hence why I use Ogg instead of MP3). But yes, I understand your feeling that someone is stealing a piece of your soul, and I’m sure many music artists feel the same. Hence why I am against download/sharing files illegally.

I found this on Frostclick.com. It is worth a thought. Radiohead has been offering their music for download some of it free for a while now. Im not saying this is a stamp of approval but rather that some bands are cool with it. If you do your research you can find some cool music for free download.

Metallica now embraces File Sharing?

According to an inteview made to the band by Rolling Stone magazine:

“We want to be as free a players as possible,” they continue in the interview.”We’ve been observing Radiohead and Trent Reznor and in twenty-seven years or however long it takes for the next record, we’ll be looking forward to everything in terms of possibilities with the Internet.”

I am simply instigating thatI want some free music sites. I know it isn’t nice or in some cases legal to take free music without buying it, however, I know the consequences and i will risk them if i have to.

I agree with you… I know the risks and have taken them in the past but… there are free and legal ways… I mentioned it earlier… Frostclick.com, and ilike.com have free stuff from new and reletivly undiscovered bands (Frostclick has stuff from some established acts as well). Also if you have a spesific band in mind check their site they may have some free stuff for you there. Its all legal. As for stuff that is not quite as legal limewire or frostwire(they are the same) is about as good as you can get.

Hate to sound like a stickler or anything, here, but realize this is SanDisk’s forum, and they don’t want any recommendations for involving in questionably legal activity to come from their website.  I’m not arguing for or against the status of P2P or anything else as legal or not (though I personally don’t see anything wrong with it), I am here to say that we probably shouldn’t discuss specific sites on a corporately owned message board.  It’s the same thing as talking about “backup” iso’s for software and games, we can talk about the files all we want, but its a really bad idea to post any actual sites or addresses on here, unless they’re fully legitimate and supported by the artists AND THEIR LABEL.  

As I said, I don’t see anything wrong with this thread, and I’m all for helping people get access to more music, I’m just trying to save us all a bit of trouble, as this is part of SanDisk’s corporate web-space.