A few questions before purchase

Yes, that works. You’re making a copy of the song and putting it in a folder. 

But then you have two whole copies of the song: one in the original album folder, one in your playlist folder. If you want to save space then it’s better to have a playlist–which is just a list–that would locate each song where it is and play them in order, without copying them or moving them out of the original album folder.

That’s what playlist formats like .m3u and .pla, the two formats the Clip recognizes, will do. And that’s why you use music library software, like Windows Media Player or Winamp or Media Monkey, to create them.  

If you are eager to use playlists, look at some of the instructions for making them in whatever music-library software you prefer.  Or you can use the copying method. 

@black_rectangle wrote:

Yes, that works. You’re making a copy of the song and putting it in a folder. 

But then you have two whole copies of the song: one in the original album folder, one in your playlist folder. If you want to save space then it’s better to have a playlist–which is just a list–that would locate each song where it is and play them in order, without copying them or moving them out of the original album folder.

That’s what playlist formats like .m3u and .pla, the two formats the Clip recognizes, will do. And that’s why you use music library software, like Windows Media Player or Winamp or Media Monkey, to create them.  

If you are eager to use playlists, look at some of the instructions for making them in whatever music-library software you prefer.  Or you can use the copying method. 

Got it thanks…  yes you’re right it makes no sense to have two copies of the same songs.

I’ll check out the music-library software that you mentioned… 

My Clip+ finally arrived and I have to say it has easily exceeded my expectations in ease of use and sound quality. I tried it both on my home stereo and auto via a transmitter.

I do though want to correct one thing. As to creating playlists in the folders, there is no need to have duplicates of each song. You simply drop songs in their folders (Beatles in the Beatles folder) select which you want in the playlist, right click and go through the menus. However this may not work if all the songs for the given playlist are not in that particular folder. I can’t say as I have not tried that yet. I put each band in their respective folder and create a playlist as such. So for this method, there are no duplicates necessary. This is all done in windows with no third party software.  I suppose I’ll use this method (very easy) until I figure out MediaMonkey…   Hope this helps others who are starting out…  like me.

Windows? Or Windows Media Player?

WMP should allow you to use songs from different folders.  I don’t think it will allow you to mix songs from the internal memory and the external card–but then again, I don’t use it.

@black_rectangle wrote:

Windows? Or Windows Media Player?

Within Windows itself.  (I’m using Win7) 

Open a music folder on your Clip+ via windows

Select a few mp3s and right click

You’ll see ‘create playlist’ in your selections

I can’t say I’ve actually gotten it to work correctly, however that is probably more my fault.