A Clip+ Oversight

I have a very high regard for Clip+, but there is one design oversight that really bugs me – lack of an “on/off” indicator.  

When the Clip is “on” its screen goes blank after a pre-set time to save on power.  If you fail to turn the device “off” whren finished playing, Clipt will play with no indicatior until its battery power runs out.  Very annoying!  

Am I missing an easy work-around? 

@gerryp123 wrote:

When the Clip is “on” its screen goes blank after a pre-set time to save on power.  If you fail to turn the device “off” whren finished playing, Clipt will play with no indicatior until its battery power runs out.  Very annoying!  

Yes, I believe so.

Clip+ User Manual 

Power Saver and/or Sleep Mode - Pg. 25

:smiley:

04-09-2011 01:10 PM

@gerryp123 wrote:

Yes, I believe so. Not a work-around, but a feature specifically built into the firmware to address this issue. You can read all about it in the

Clip+ User Manual 

Power Saver and/or Sleep Mode - Pg. 25

I think that gerryp123 raises a great point–it would be very welcome to have a small LED on the player glow (blue) when the player is on, and perhaps another, as to the battery, to glow (orange and then green) whent the player is charging and then full. While the auto-off feature is great, there have been times when I’ve had the player playing and forgotten to shut it off, only to come back to a dead player the following a.m. I would guess that a small power indicator LED would consume only negligible power (but perhaps I’m wrong).

My favorite method would be a separate LED that blinks.  These devices do consume power, but it’s a very small draw. The LED flashes each second.  All that would be required is to use a little SMD LED on the main circuit board, and a little window in the face for the light to be seen, very clean.

Note, I recommend using a discrete (separate) LED as opposed to tasking the OLED display.

I had a Motorola flip type phone a few years ago with a special “winky” on the top of the device.  They used a SMD device with a polycarbonate “light pipe” atop the machine, that looked like an LED bubble from the outside, very clever.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: