A bug in the Sansa and how to overcome it

My Windows Media player would sync all media to my Fuze not just mp3s which ate up memory and since the photos were not properly formatted I could not actually view them. I manually deleted them in Windows but some of them were corrupted so all kinds of gremlins started showing up on the Fuze that stopped it from both syncing and actually playing because it would be stuck on the “Refreshing Media…”.

Luckily I was actually able to resolved the issue myself.  To overcome the “Refreshing…” screen I plugged my Fuze to the PC with the usb cable to start the “connected” animation screen.  Then I quickly disconnected the device at the Fuze end which dumped me into the last played list,hit menu and scrolled to settings and from there I formatted the memory.  Luckily I have a back up of all my songs and went into Windows Media Player to change the sync options to only MP3s to prevent this from happening again.

So as a synapses first remember to sync only your mp3s and make sure the the sync all options doesn’t dump everything in. Second use only the Sansa media converter for pictures and video ( sorry you can’t watch digital file copies of your DVD’S because the DRM doesn’t allow conversion). And third always back up your files.

This is good. Many people dont figure that stuff out like you did. Just so you know this comes about due to the autosync feature in WMP. It happens all the time and you did everything right. However you did not need to format. You could have plugged the player into the PC, made sure WMP was closed, gone to "My Computer, and then Deleted the Photos folder.

@rigs83 wrote:

So as a synapses first remember to sync only your mp3s and make sure the the sync all options doesn’t dump everything in. Second use only the Sansa media converter for pictures and video ( sorry you can’t watch digital file copies of your DVD’S because the DRM doesn’t allow conversion). And third always back up your files.

Or simply avoid the problem altogether and don’t use WMP or ‘sync’ at all.

Many use it, many more are frustrated with it, few have mastered it.

MSC mode and a few mouse clicks (drag & drop) are all you need. Period. You decide what goes on your player, you decide where it goes, you@ decide when it goes. Not a bunch of MS minions who can’t find their own @ss1 with both hands who developed this technological piece of doo-doo they call a ‘media player’.

Done. Simple. No surprises, no head-aches, no hassles. If you really need a software program to ‘manage’ your music for you, there’s always that over-priced, over-rated, under-functioned ‘fruity’ player and it’s requesite & equally un-manageable ‘_-Tunes’.

:wink:

And btw, this is NOT a bug in the Sansa, but a WMP issue as CB eluded too. It is a ‘user-controlled setting’ within Windows Media Player! It has nothing to do with the Sansa, so you might want to edit the Subject line of your post to avoid confusion to others.

I repeat . . .

THIS IS NOT A SANSA BUG!

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 02-18-2009 01:42 PM