8gb fuze draining battery when turned off

Hello,

I just barely purchased my 8gb sansa fuze, received in the mail the 23rd. Obviously the first thing I did was hook it up to the computer to start charging/adding music. Hours later I unplugged it, checked the “info” under system settings and it said the battery was at 100%. The next morning about to head to work, It wouldnt turn on. I plug it in the computer and it read that it was completely dead. All through the night I did have a microSD 8gb chip in the Fuze. Not thinking much of it, I just let it charge back while at work. Once it was finished charging, I shut it off. Hours later when I wanted to use it, I turn it on to see that its at 70% or so. After trying to find out some info on forums and whatnot, the closest thing I found was that the microSD chips supposedly drain power (although I doubt it should when the fuze is off…). So I decided to give it a test anway; I pull the chip out, recharge the fuze, shut it down. Turned on a few hours later and it said 84% power. I shut it back off, the next morning it read 21%. About an hour later i re-check it and it read 17%. And this is with the microSD chip out of the fuze.

After some further reading, I realized I havent upgraded the firmware yet. Once I did that, the fuze is still draining battery while being shut down.

So this is where I am currently at. Not sure if I am missing something here, but I am pretty sure batteries in electronics shouldnt be draining while not in use, at least as much as mine is anyway /sigh.

Thanks guys for the help!

are you sure the fuze doesnt have the backlight turned on? it can appear to be off but really on

Send it back and get another one. This isn’t right.

Nope I make sure to double check it. One of the first things I do when I get a new mp3 player (or even a new phone) is I go through all the “power saving” options. Make sure the bightness is turned down, the backlight shuts off after 10 seconds, the power saver set to shut down if inactive after 10 minutes, etc etc.

really old batteries can lose their charge without even being used. its common of mp3 player batteries to lose their charge capacity ,without being used, 20% each year. maybe your fuze was stuck in their warehouse for 20 years and they finnaly sold it

fudge wrote:
really old batteries can lose their charge without even being used. its common of mp3 player batteries to lose their charge capacity ,without being used, 20% each year. maybe your fuze was stuck in their warehouse for 20 years and they finnaly sold it

Beings how the fuze has only been out for ~2 years, I doubt it.

fudge wrote:

Beings how the Fuze has only been out for ~2 years, I kinda doubt it.

@tapeworm wrote:
Send it back and get another one. This isn’t right.

I was afraid that would be a response, but its definitely acting strange for an electronic so it may be my only option.

Thanks guys.

This appears to be an intermittent problem on my 4gb Fuze.  My backlight is set for 15 sec, power saver set for 10 min.

I’ve had the Fuze for about a year and this was never a problem until I upgraded to V02.03.31A.  

I watch for the “GoodBye” everytime I shut it down and every once in a while (1x every week/2 weeks) 'll get a battery low message when I turn it on.  

There’s a difference between stand-by and shutdown.  The Fuze appears to have shut-down only (Power saver and Sleep).  The back-light time-out will save you the most power during play.  If you use the back-light time-out only, the unit is not really turned off.  It is just shutting down the screen while everything else is still functioning.  The unit will turn off by itself from Power save (non-activity time-out) and Sleep (count-down time-out).   However, that does not mean the unit is completely turned off (i.e. disconnected from the battery).  There is always the possibility that quiescent current is being used by the unit (to keep time, for example) even while it is turned “off.”  Depending on programming from the firmware, the ICs may still be draining a certain amount of power when powered “off.”   Or, it may be faulty components causing current leakage.  In either case, you should return the unit.  Leaking quiescent current is generally not fixable by the consumer, or even by a trained technician. And, as another poster had noted, you may simply have a bad battery.

ggin1

Message Edited by ggin1 on 03-01-2010 05:09 PM

Sounds like you have a hardware issue, or the Fuze thinks it’s a View.

I shouldn’t stir up the bees.

I would exchange the Fuze for another one.  Out of the box, you shouldn’t have issues like that.  Even at over a year old, my Fuze shows no sign of decreased battery life.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: