4GB Clip+ won't pause and random shut-offs with podcasts.

The following behaviors only happen with podcasts on my 4GB Sansa Clip+. I’ve never had these things happen while listening to music.

If I pause a podcast and shut off the device, there is a chance that later on when I start it up again and continue listening that I lose the ability to pause the show. If I press the pause button, it’ll stop for what seems mere milliseconds and then continue on its own.

Another problem is that occasionally I’ll be listening to a podcast and then out of nowhere the device will just shut off. I’ve been able to catch it during this and see that the screens displays the “Goodbye” message before it shuts off on its own, it doesn’t just die. I assure you that I didn’t accidentally bump the power button on my own and I keep it in locked mode during playback anyways.

I only bought it a month ago and it has been doing this for the last week or two. What should I do? These two issues are mildly annoying.

oops, wrong board.

OK, 3 thoughts, in case you haven’t tried these possibilities:

1.  Try a system reset:  hold the on switch down for up to 30 seconds.

2.  Try reapplying the latest firmware–it could have become corrupted over time (even a short time!).  See the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum.

3.  If 1 and 2 don’t work, telephone SanDisk for a warranty replacement–it’s very easy to do (and they cover shipping).  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us.  Or, if you purchased locally and still can, return the player for a new one–this would be the easiest way to go.

As a footnote, be sure that you download the correct firmware version from the Clip+ page, as this is a different firmware version than the Clip one listed here.  The current Clip+ build is version 01.02.09.

These formwares are different, as the Clip+ has a microSD card slot.

Random shutting off can often happen if the Clip “chokes” on a bad file.  I’m a wee bit puzzled as to why it decides to power off in this case, but there are quite a few variables involved.  If there’s a specific podcast that won’t play through, be sure to delete this file from your Sansa first, as it may be the only real problem you have.

If the Clip continues operating normally after deleting the file, you can simply try reloading the file later.  Otherwise, it may be an issue with the firmware, or a hardware issue.  In any case, SanDisk stands behind your device, so there’s no worries!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: