1G Cruzer Micro appears as Audio CD

HAve an older 1G Cruzer Micro that has been being used with an XP computer. Just got rid of that computer and for the first time have tried to use the Cruzer in both Vista (64 bit) and Win7 Home computers. In both cases the device is recognized as an audio CD with a single track of 1kb with a date of 12/31/1994.

Help!

When you open My Computer, can you see the drive? If there are no important files here, have you tried reformatting it? 

It shows in Computer as CD Drive (F:) Audio CD

Unfortunately it has important files on it. Ultimately if I can’t get it to be recognized as USB storage device I’ll have to find an XP machine to get the files off of the Cruzer. I would then try the reformat route. Hoping to avoid that though because I’m not sure how easy it will be for me to find an XP machine.

Any other ideas?

Have you tried running the Vista machine in XP compatibility mode?

Did not realize you could do that. A quick overview would be helpful!

So as near as I can tell to run an application in XP mode, that application (the .exe) has to be accessable so that the the properties can be set to run in XP mode. Believe the exe in this case is the U3 exe in the cruzer. Since the cruzer appears as an audio CD the U3 exe is not visible and therefore can’t set the properties for XP  compatibility. Might be missing something but see how that suggestion will help in this case.

If the CD drive is a U3 CD drive you can still open it with Windows Explorer and see what files are on it.  Have you done that?

And if the files are U3 files they will run in Windows 7 64-bit if you use this approach: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/U3-and-Windows-7/m-p/256611

Ed_P

The only file that shows up is a single of 1kb with a date of 12/31/1994. This is when either a Win7 or Vista machine looks at the Cruzer. When it is looked at with an XP machine you find the U3 exe and all seems fine. My problem is I no longer have an XP machine but I do have a Cruzer with important files that no longer seem to be accessable in Win7 or Vista.

Barry

Is your Win 7 64-bit?

Ed

Its the home edition which I believe is 32 bit.

Barry

The edition as nothing to do with whether its a 32 or 64 bit version.

Have you tried the Win 7 Vista Compatibility mode option?