1) record in mp3 format. 2) how to remove shirt clip? 3) what kind of flash is in?

hi:
long time ipod owner ; new clip owner.

1. why wont sandisk let us record fm in mp3 format?  recording fm in wav is totally useless. is it a processor problem?
  2. if i ever want, how do i remove then replace the shirt clip?
  3. i dont care at all about warranty if i chose to void it :: what type of flash is inside ; has anyone tried to upgrade the size to 4-8GB?

MP3 encoding involves additional license and cost

Press the back of the clip down (see demo on anythingbutipod.com).

Firmware is stored on the Flash, if you remove the flash and change it the device wont boot anymore.

Also, disassembly will break the case.

thx for the reply… i think my ipod firmware is stored on drive also, yet many ppl flash a new one and replace it.
why couldnt all the info be copied fro old drive to pc including a .bin file, copy all including any partitions to new drive,  install new drive and boot up?
i have never done it, but seems rite to me.
thanx

Message Edited by amkoas on 11-29-2007 03:11 PM

Why is recording FM into a WAV file useless? It’s easy to convert to MP3 outside the player.

think about it, 2gb drive half full or more… how much you think you re gonna record?
thanx

My rough calculations are that you’d be able to store about five hours of recorded FM on an empty 2GB Clip.

The Clip records in two different BitRates for Voice and FM.

FM is 768kbps, making it roughly 3.0341 hours per GB.

Voice is 256kbps, making it roughly 9.1022 hours per GB.

For the recordings, 1 Gigabyte (GB) is 1,073,741,824 Bytes

For the devices, 1 Gigabyte (GB) = 1,000,000,000 (1 billion) bytes. Some of the listed capacity is used for formatting and other functions, and thus is not available for data storage.

With that in mind, you won’t get exactly twice as much on a 2GB capacity.

Also, there may be device limitations that prevent using the whole capacity for just one recording.

LagunaSansa wrote:

FM is 768kbps, making it roughly 3.0341 hours per GB.

3.0341 is “roughly”?

==> :wink:  <==

k, maybe im way off base. gonna try fm record and see how big i end up w/… if its big… you all gonna get biiiiggg scolding… Insert Smileys
also, still waiting for info about the typed of flash… i will probly upgrade – want to buy flash first.
thx

Message Edited by amkoas on 11-29-2007 11:40 AM

Message Edited by amkoas on 11-29-2007 11:48 AM

Message Edited by amkoas on 11-29-2007 11:48 AM

also, still waiting for info about the typed of flash… i will probly upgrade – want to buy flash first.

Maybe you should consult the author of this article:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/11/sandisk-sansa-clip-disassembled.php

No offense, but I think your “upgrade” is going to result in a destroyed Sansa Clip.

amkoas wrote:

still waiting for info about the typed of flash

Actually the bit rate of Voice record is now the same as FM after the 1.01.17 release.

SansaFix

so, i find out this ::
there is no drive… it is a chip soldered.  so, no way to upgrade.

ok, sample FM rec’d  came in at 10.1mb for recording of 1:50 … sound seemed very good.  i can convert  easy enuf and keep file size manageable  as long as i dont procrastinate…
bottomline ::  i am more than very happy w/this little thing.  when sansa makes adds like sd support and bigger capacity, im gonna upgrade – specially the sd or micro sd support…

Adding microSD support to the Clip would significantly change its size, wouldn’t it?  And then it would be the Clip No Longer.  Better to look at the other Sansa models, I think.

Washed my son’s SanDisk in the washing machine by mistake.  How do I remove the back of it to try and dry it out?

Pflohr, you should start a new topic for that. It doesn’t belong in this thread.

@sansafix wrote:
MP3 encoding involves additional license and cost

However, encoding OGG presents no licensing problems and adds no cost (except the firmware development).  Which is why those who wrote it, wrote it.  So it would get used.  Here’s a darned good place to use it!  Might as well add the ability to play 'em while you’re at it :).

It’s gonna burn more battery.  Won’t be able to fill the flash on a charge, but the files would be much smaller.  I tried an FM recording and this seems buggy. It has 14 meg free and it wouldn’t let me record- says says “Device is Full”.  I delete a couple of songs leaving 25 meg.  Start an FM recording and it stops after 6 Meg (leaving 19 meg free on the flash).

This is weird, went into FM to play back the recording.  FFwd to end.  It is only 1:06 min long.  Down button gives me the option “Back to Music List” select that -->  “Play All” and if I select it, I start playing music at the top of my list.  Now, down button brings up Music options menu, but the Home button will take you to FM Radio.

It says record full with 19 meg free.

Robert

pflohr wrote:

Washed my son’s SanDisk in the washing machine by mistake.  How do I remove the back of it to try and dry it out?

I wouldn’t try it.  I just would try to gently shake any excess water out, and then leave to the player in a nice, warm (not hot) spot to dry out for a number of days. 

Message Edited by Miikerman on 02-04-2008 12:40 PM

pflohr wrote:

I wouldn’t try it.  I just would try to gently shake any excess water out, and then leave to the player in a nice, warm (not hot) spot to dry out for a number of days.