(anon)
Accepted Solution

V-Mate compatibility issues

I have recently purchased a v-mate and an Archos 605 (with SD slot). Upon setting it up I found that the recording made by the v-mate is not compatible with the archos mp4 format despite trying numerous settings. With my PC I was able to convert the file to get it to play but that kind of defeats the object. Any suggestions?
(anon)

Re: V-Mate compatibility issues

>I have recently purchased a v-mate and an Archos 605 (with SD slot). Upon setting it up I found that the recording made by the v-mate is not compatible with the archos mp4 format despite trying numerous settings. >With my PC I was able to convert the file to get it to play but that kind of defeats the object. Any suggestions?

Hi.

The V-Mate saves in ISO MPEG-4 (says so on the settings screen).

MPEG-4 process went mad when ISO effeort went to h... in the 90'ties and MPEG-4 (movie industry body) wanted license rights over MPEG-4. That was also at this time that Microsoft went out of MPEG-4 - because not ISO or global standard anymore ... and Apple almost did to (but probably decided to nuture its association with movie industry instead).

So back to it ...

So MPEG-4 is not just MPEG-4 ...

For ISO you have MPEG-4 v1, v2 and v3. Since Microsoft involved you can actually download codecs (think that was Windows Media 7) that will play it on Windows. So that's for V-Mate. When codecs installed other apps like editors (i.e. VirtualDub) where you can select among available codecs for encoding will use them. Players like WMP will use it.

From after ISO you have MPEG-4 body doing its other profiles like MPEG-4 part something. You have MPEG-4 using H.263 compression with AVC and SP profiles - where some also uses H.263´+ compression. Nice and complicated. Thats everything from Quicktime, DivX, 3GPP, Flash etc.

Starting with MPEG-4 H.264 it may become more aligned - Quicktimes there and Flash is about to go there (in Beta I think).

So best option for many is still to use MPEG-4 ISO ...

That's is what the V-Mate does. So it sounds like its really your Archos that is too special ... find out what MPEG-4 h.263 it probably uses ... simple profile, advanced profiles or avc ... or ... and then reencode to that after you got an editor like Virtualdub or some video converter. You could also decide to use the mobile profles that encodes into 3GPP ... thats some variant of MPEG-4 h.263 ... ehh, SP and AVC ... (Simple Profile or Advanced Simple Profile).

You see, thats why the V-Mate and a lot of others uses MPEG-4 ISO untill major market players that is into MPEG-4  will agree that MPEG-4 is definitely MPEG-4 h.264 ... i.e. Flash uses Sorensen variant of MPEG-4 h.263 SP from 2003 ... and only now is Adobe doing something about it ... probably because Microsoft is going HDTV on the net with new quick streaming implemention in WMV9 (SMPTE VC-1) for HD wrapped up and presented in the Microsoft Silverlight plugin.

Message Edited by Dario on 01-08-2008 08:55 AM

Message Edited by Dario on 01-08-2008 08:58 AM

Message Edited by Dario on 01-08-2008 09:00 AM

Message Edited by Dario on 01-08-2008 09:00 AM

Message Edited by Dario on 01-08-2008 09:02 AM

Message Edited by Dario on 01-08-2008 09:02 AM
(anon)

Re: V-Mate compatibility issues

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Firstly let me appologise for my obvious lack of knowledge when it comes to MPEG4 - I just thought (wrongly) that mp4 was, well, mp4. I'm now learning that not to be the case. The archos I believe uses mp4 -4 if that makes sense and throws up an error message when I've attempted to playback the mp4 iso recording from the v-mate, stating something about quarter pixel?