640x480 preview with final firmware?

Hello,

I've been researching the V-mate, and quite a few posts and web pages complain about the device's inability to display 640x480 video on the television/monitor while recording.  According to the release notes, it looks like it *does* display while recording at 640x480 with version 02.07.ww.b8:

"Preview video quality improved for NTSC mode recordings in TV/PC setting (640x480 resolution)"  (next to last item in the release notes)

Can anyone confirm that this is the case, or am I just misreading that in the release notes?

RLW

Re: 640x480 preview with final firmware?

I take "preview video quality" to refer to the video shown on the Record Now screen (when a reduced video picture is shown) before you actually start the recording.

I have yet to read a credible post from someone claiming to have a V-Mate that does not have the "A/V passthru except at 640x480 resolution" problem.  Even if they exist, currently there is no one advertising them for sale -- not even SanDisk.

Note also that even if they became available, if they show the reduced screen during recording as for all the other resolution recordings, most people will still look for a work-around for switching the video input from the V-Mate so that they can view the video full screen (easy to do if your TV has multiple inputs that can be switched via the TV's remote control).

Ahhhh...  so the "preview" mode is to watch the video BEFORE the recording begins, not DURING the recording.

Nothing that couldn't be worked around with a set of RCA "splitters" and another Red-White-Yellow video/audio cable connected to another input on the TV.  Still, it seems like a not-very-bright engineering choice by the folks who designed the V-mate.

OK, that clears it up, thanks for the info, MikeDuffy.

RLW

rlw:  You mention a set of RCA "splitters".  I want you to be aware that unlike RCA audio, RCA video usually cannot be successfully split by a simple "Y" connector, you need a powered device like a VCR (which can split an RF or A/V RCA input into RF and A/V RCA outputs) or a device called a Distribution Amplifier (which can split a single A/V RCA signal into two (or more) A/V RCA outputs).  Note that many video source devices (especially cable, satellite, and most STBs) have multiple outputs like RF, A/V (composite), S-video, and sometimes Component and HDMI, so you may not need a splitter.

@MikeDuffy,

I'm aware of the problem of trying to "passively" split video -- I neglected to clarify that a powered distribution amp would be required.  I just used the generic term "splitter".

RLW

Realize also that I often give more information than the poster requires in the hope that other readers (who may not be as informed) will be able to understand.  Even so I know that I'm not nearly as clear as I would like to be...