E200v2 03.01.16 Firmware Download & Instructions

For v2 - The latest version available for download is 03.01.16.

Let me start off by saying that majority of people will be able to update his/her firmware through the Sansa Firmware Updater. There is even a how-to video that explains the process. If for any reason the aforementioned steps do not work for you, then please feel free to continue by trying the more "computer savy" steps, described below.

Version 2 Players Only

First, verify that your e200 is a v2. This can be found by looking on the back plate and on the bottom right, it should say e200 v2. In addition to that, go to Settings > Info, and verify that "Version" starts with V03.
Once this has been verified, go ahead and proceed with the firmware update steps below.

If you do not have a v2, do not upgrade your firmware! This could break your player!

For Windows Users - Connect the Device in any Mode and follow the Update instructions below.

Mac and Linux users can connect their e200 in MSC mode by changing the settings in USB Mode or by following the instructions below.

MSC mode instructions:

1. Turn off the e200 v2
  2. Put the device in Hold (move Hold button until orange is showing)
  3. Press and hold the Left Button
  4. Plug the 30 pin connector into the device (be sure the USB is plugged into the computer)
  5. Wait for the e200 drive(s) to show up
  6. Follow instructions below and drag files to the e200 drive

Download the firmwares by clicking on the links below. Be sure to select the region you are in for full compatibility.

AMERICAS - 03.01.16a for Americas

EUROPE w/o FM - 03.01.16e for Europe

EUROPE w FM -
03.01.16f for Europe

1. Once downloaded, connect the Sansa e200 v2 to the computer.
  2. Extract the .zip file.
  3. Add the firmware file you just extracted to the root directory of the Sansa e200 v2.
  4. Once its been added, disconnect the device, it will then say that it is upgrading the firmware. It will eventually turn off. Once it turns off, turn it back on, and it should ask you for a language to select. Once the language is chosen, head to Settings > Info and verify that the "Version" is V03.01.16.

Release Notes

This new firmware has various bug fixes, including key fixes listed below. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off. Power on the device to complete the upgrade process.  If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 6 seconds to reset the device and then release and press again to restart. 

Bugs Fixed:    

• Stability = Hanging at Refresh Database with certain ID3 tag genres. 
  • Photo playback = Album art files show up in Photo mode.
  • Audiobooks = Fast forward problem with Overdrive audiobook content.
  • Host interactions = Files renamed in MTP mode does not update on device; Host timeout after MTP format command; Invalid MP3 files showing up after transfer from Apple computers.
  • Localized firmware for US region = FM Scan does not step in 200 kHz increments.
  • Miscellaneous = Screen shows overlapped images after long FM recording.  

Enhancements: 

• Increased the number of volume steps to allow lower minimum volume (-15db).
  • Shuffle algorithm is enhanced to retain the shuffled sequence at power off.
  • FM Autoscan algorithm is enhanced to collect valid stations more accurately.
  • Reduced amount of time between track changes when played from a PlaysFromDevice host.
  • Rating value changes are now applied even if device is not Rhapsody enabled.

Known Issues:

• Device hangs when corrupted JPG is selected.
  • GoList is cleared after song deletion from the list

My sansa is in msc mode. The copy of the e200pf.bin - file  into the root directory does not work. After approx. 50% copying i get the message (tanslated from German language) Cannot copy Path ist to long. The update with the “sansa updater” does also not finish. What can i do?

My sansa is in msc mode. The copy of the e200pf.bin - file  into the root directory does not work. After approx. 50% copying i get the message (tanslated from German language) Cannot copy. Path is to long. The update with the “sansa updater” does also not finish. What can i do?

This isn’t working for me. Perhaps I misunderstand the instructions:

MSC mode instructions:

1. Turn on the e200 v2
  2. Put the device in Hold (move Hold button until orange is showing)
  3. Press and hold the Left Button
    HOW LONG SHOULD I HOLD THE BUTTON???
  4. Plug the 30 pin connector into the device (be sure the USB is plugged into the computer)
    DO THIS WHILE STILL HOLDING THE BUTTON?
    WHEN DO I STOP HOLDING DOWN THE BUTTON?
  5. Wait for the e200 drive(s) to show up
    SHOW UP WHERE, ON THE COMPUTER?
  6. Follow instructions below and drag files to the e200 drive

So, I do the above by doing this:

put it in MSC mode

turn it on

once it’s booted put it in HOLD

press and hold left button

while holding, connect the cable THEN let go of the button

when the e200 is mounted on Linux then drag’n’drop the bin file to it.

once done copying (only a second or two)

disconnect the cable

The e260 then does its database update and just sits there doing nothing noticeable. I’ve waited a couple of minutes and it never says anything about upgrading firmware.

What am I not doing right?

Thanks!

Anyone got any advice for my problem? (see last post) Details needed, as I can’t get the firmware update to go following the given instructions. Thanks!

Holding the Left button with hold engaged forces the player to connect in MSC mode.  If you have it in MSC mode through the settings menu, you can omit that part of it.  Look at Settings -> Info to see which version of firmware is on the player.

Within the last two weeks, I explained how I managed to get the updater to work on my 280 v2.  You should be able to find it on this site with a quick search…it may help.

Dan:

Thanks for the note.

The only postings I find from you on the subject discuss doing it with the firmware updater from Windows. I was trying to do it from Linux (my main OS here).

I did dig out the old windows laptop (XP) and downloaded the firmware updater, installed it and tried to run it, but it keeps claiming that there are no updates available when I know that there certainly is one. the e260 claims firmware version v03.01.11T, and that’s the version the updater program shows.

So I’m stumped.

ah, here I am following up on my own post. time to eat a little crow :cry:

Can’t get the firmware updaer to work on Windows, so I went back to LInux and tried it again. This time it worked, and I figured out why it hadn’t worked for me before:

After the file transfer is done I forgot to unmount the usb device before disconnecting it. The file hadn’t yet actually been written tot he device, so unmounting it forces the write. then disconnect it and it does update the firmware.

Thanks for putting up with me! :wink:

Mr Smiley Face,

GOOD NEWS FINALLY! - With 03.01.16a for Americas Shuffle works properly with PLAYLISTS.  If you want to turn unhappy faces to SMILEY FACES, you should add the above to the list of BUG FIXES.  The comment that is made about Shuffle in the list does not state this.

e280v2 - stop telling people they need to use WMP 10 or 11 and screw with syncronization and playlists.  That is total nonsense.

a. Run in MTP mode.

b. Create folder or drag a folder from PC to Sansa.

c. Right-mouse - there you see CREATE PLAYLIST as top option.

d. When done, for good organization and I think no other reason, move it the PLAYLIST folder.

As for the External 4gb Sandisk microcard.  I’ve only read of the problems with it.  I’ve not placed any MUSIC files on it but will try it soon (into a folder, doing same as above) hoping for success.

Next, when will the MEDIA CONVERTER do just that without hanging on MOST MEDIA?  Correct that and you guys become Maytag men.  Then, if you have nothing to do, write a users manual.

Thank you,

Ira

@mrsmileyface wrote:

1. Once downloaded, connect the Sansa e200 v2 to the computer.
  2. Extract the .zip file.
  3. Add the firmware file you just extracted to the root directory of the Sansa e200 v2.
  4. Once its been added, disconnect the device, it will then say that it is upgrading the firmware. It will eventually turn off. Once it turns off, turn it back on, and it should ask you for a language to select. Once the language is chosen, head to Settings > Info and verify that the “Version” is V03.01.14.

Message Edited by SansaMe on 03-18-2008 01:03 PM

if i am verifing the upgrade to v x.16 i would want my sansa to tell me that i have x.16 not x.14

Message Edited by Hillshum on 04-01-2008 10:39 AM

Updated.

My e280v2 is not recognized by the computer. As soon as it comes on it moves to "writing, then “connected.” The Sansa Updater does not recognize it to update the firmware. Because it is version 2, it does not have the USB mode in settings to move to MSC mode.

The music on it, more than 300 songs, just disappeared. One day they were there; the next, they were gone.

I’ve scoured the forum to see how to update or reset the player. Turning the hold button, pressing the left button when connecting does not do anything.

Any help for where to look to get the Sansa e280 to update would most appreciated. What I’ve read here has not worked for me. It worked flawlessly for 3.5 months; then, it’s lost the music and no ability to update or add music.

EdProf9-

From your post, if you don’t have the USB mode selection option in “Settings”, you have the early 3.01.11 firmware; this did not offer the MSC mode.

Files transferred in MTP mode are not visible in MSC mode.  If you manually switch over to the opposite mode, your music will not be visible from the PC side.  Well, as long as you don’t use the Format command on the device…

Try connecting your e280 first without changing modes- look under My Computer for the e280 under Other Devices, and under Devices with removable storage…does it show up there?

Then try connecting manually in MSC mode by switching the hold switch on (orange visible), then plug in the device while holding the rewind button down.  If you can find the sansa in this mode, load the 3.01.16 firmware, and that will give you the USB mode option.

Bob  :wink:

Bob,

Thank you for your gracious response. You described the firmware number accurately. However, I was unable to do any of the manual switches. I attempted the connection but my computer would not recognize it as removable storage or player or anything. I uninstalled and reinstalled the updater three times, tried to connect, but without success. Because I thought it was toast, I decided to format to see if anything would help.The music did disappear for sure after that, and I knew it was reloadable IF we could get it to update.

Now the news: between last night when I wrote the request and this morning, something happened that I cannot explain.

I turned on the computer this morning, reconnected the Sansa e280, ate breakfast, and came back to take the Sansa off only to see the Sansa Updater in the icon tray. I ran the updater, and the new firmware is on the player. USB mode now appears in the Settings menu. Whatever happened internally is a mystery to me that it would suddenly update.

I wanted to let you know since you had taken time to suggest a solution.

I’m concerned, however, that I may have a player that is beginning to fail since it chose to enter the mode without any outside assistance. Now, I know it has no life of its own, but it was working one day and not the next.

Again, my thanks.

Kurt :dizzy_face: 

OK, I’m not technically minded but as the updater thing wasn’t working I tried!  But when I tried to drag and drop the file over I got an error message:

Cannot copy e200pf: data error (cyclic redundancy check). 

Any suggestions?  I’m in MSC mode.  I have E280v2  (V03.01.14E) with free memory.  I tried installing the firmware before but it crashed partway and now I’m having problems with the player I thought retrying might fix the problems.

Perhaps I need to reset it?

Jennie 

My e280 now takes longer to start up and shut down–like 10 seconds or longer. It used to take about 3-5 seconds. Anyone else with this change after upgrade?

Anyone know if/when Rockbox will be available for e280 v2? I’ve had enough of Sansa’s lame OS… Other than issues with the OS, I’m happy with the player.

I noticed the same thing after doing the 03.01.16 firmware upgrade.   Now my e280 takes 10-15 seconds to start up and another 10-15 seconds to shut down.

I’m glad to hear that your sansa is running again! There is an often overlooked issue with the Sansa Updater and with communications issues: rebooting your PC can often cure a myriad of little ailments. Quite often, it’s a little nugget of importance hidden within the registry of your PC that gets fixed upon the reboot.

Sometimes, it’s the new installation (this applies to any problematic new software), and sometimes it has to do with running applications that seem to be “in the way”, for lack of a better term.

For those who run the Rhapsody 4 client, I’ve been known to bang my head on the desk occasionally in disgust, only to have peace and contentment upon rebooting.

Sansafix has a good piece of advice with the slowed database refresh and shutdown- format the device (use the sansa’s format command). I like to delete the mtable.sys database file using windows explorer too- this clears the slate, and the sansa will generate a new database upon disconnect. (Version 2 players)

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 04-10-2008 03:02 PM

Is there a public place where Sansa (SanDisk) stores the most recent

firmware files?

What is the most recent version (Apr-2008)?

With the updater I’m not successful with update.

I want to update my e2XXv2 to " 03.02.05H " or newer.

Kind regards,

ellocco